Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

alternative synthesis tool for xilinx FPGAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddin

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm currently using XST for logic synthesis and was just asking myself about the benefits of other synthis tools.
Can somebody give me some advice about which tools are available and recommendable? (limited to Xilinx FPGAs)
Thanks,
Maddin

Use Synplify, or amplify
or then precision synthesis, or leonardo spectrum or FPGA compiler.

I too would suggest you to use use Synplify Pro. I too use XST for synthesis most of the times, but whenever I use Synplicity, I usually get a better frequency of operation and the time taken for synthesis is always better compared to XST.

I've used both leonardo and ISE. My feeling is that for not very big design(less than vii 500). XST does a very good job with that cheap price. It is faster the synthesized results are comparable. Functional wise, XST now supports multi-dimentional array and can infer ram. It is as powerful as leonardo IMHO.

mami_hacky said:
Use Synplify, or amplify
or then precision synthesis, or leonardo spectrum or FPGA compiler.

8O well, which one is best concerning synthesis results :?:
Can anybody give me feedback about the differences between Synplify (Pro) and leonardo spectrum?
Thanks again,
Maddin

I have used XST a couple of times and my experience with it was really bad (It comes with ISE Foundation and is not X!linx main concern, nor their main income 8O , they focuss in their PAR tools).

Synplify Pro, I like it! Latest version I have tried 7.3.3 is pretty good, is synthesizing designs it wasn't in version 7.2.3. But there is a PROBLEM, at least is a problem for me, you have to write your RTL with Synplify attributes in many cases, so your HDL code becomes Synthesizer specific and that is scary.

Leonardo = Precision, I love it! This is my favourite. It has improved the Schematic Viewer that was lacking before compared to Synplify. It doesn't need attributes in your RTL. Historically hasn't had as much problems with RAMs as Synplify. It does an area report by entity which really helps when optimizing designs,...

-maestor

Thanks maestor and all other guys who sent me some feedback.
I think I'll try both, Synplify Pro and Leonardo :D
regards,
Maddin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back