Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altered Adder with binary output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduard Barnoviciu

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello , I need your help here with something : I'm in quite a hurry so that's why I don't do it myself :

I have to design a more intricate CLC and I did most part but at the very end I need a circuit that will add up to 11 1-bit signals to a 4-bit output that will give the number of 1s in binary. so for : i0 = 1 , i1=0 , i2=1 , i3 to i10 = 1 , the sum will be 10 and the output will be 1010.

Once again , I cannot use regs, loops or anything that involves memory or a clock signal.

Please help. Thank you

I can transform all those 11 outputs into 4 2-bit numbers. Now I just need to add them up. HOW please. how. I need palpable code.

Hi,

Define an unsigned signal & assign the sum of eleven bits to that signal.Later convert it to a std_logic_vector(3 downto 0).
You have your output.

For counting the number of '1' in your output vector,assign it to a signal & add the individual bits of output vector which you could assign to an integer variable

Too advanced for me , lel. Sorry. I'm at ' logic gate level' right now. Thanks anyway , I do appreciate it.

I can transform all those 11 outputs into 4 2-bit numbers. Now I just need to add them up. HOW please. how. I need palpable code.

I didn't see this post(post #2) of yours earlier.

Let's start from the basics.
How did you get those 4 2-bit vectors from 11 bit signals ? Can you post any code ?

I suppose you are doing it in VHDL ?

Build a "tree" using normal adders. Make pairs of the input signals, add them and pass to the next "stage". In the first stage you need 5 1-bit adders which will generate 5 2-bit numbers. The leftover bit from the first stage can be padded with a '0' an be used directly in the second stage, where you have 3 2-bit adders which will generate 3 3-bit numbers. Continue like this and after the last step you will have a 5-bit result. The highest bit will always be '0', so it can be left unconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back