Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altera ByteBlasterII with Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebmaster

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Well I have just finnished soldering up a circuit I have been working on with a MAXII at the centre.

I come to program it and Quartus complains that the kernel mode driver has not been installed.
I tried follow the instructions to install the driver and after much investigating have discovered that Altera don't support 64 bit operating systems.

At the moment im the process of making a 32 bit virtual machine but I REALLY don't want to do all my development in this.

Is anyone using a ByteBlasterII? If so any hints on how to get it to work in a newer OS?

sebmaster

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks ckaa,

I might see if I can get an older version of the drivers and see what happens if I try to install them.

Unfortunately I dont have a USB Blaster, so my driver issues are slightly different.

I tried installing the Win2000 ones as legacy but Windows claimed it couldn't find any suitable ones. I assumed that this and the refusal to load the installed driver indicated a security problem and was looking up how to circumvent it when I found that Altera don't support 64bit systems with their ByteBlaster driver.

I tried to run it in XP Mode (I have a 32 bit VM in this) but still nothing.

In the meantime I found an old laptop with no display that I am using to try and connect to my CPLD but my JTAG cable is refusing to work; I am getting quite fed up of this CPLD and am wishing i'd just bought a Terasic USB blaster to begin with.

Yikes, that doesn't seem pleasant at all!! I am sorry I couldn't be of more help...I am trying to migrate to a Windows7 machine but still haven't tried anything. If I do come across a Byteblaster solution will let you know!

Thanks ckaa,

No it isn't! I haven't progressed much since my last post in respect to Windows 7. The JTAG cable is working well now on the old laptop though. At the moment its leant up against a desk (for airflow) and just stays on 24/7.
Luckily it is able to act as a JTAG server, so my Win 7 development PC can connect to it as if it were an ethernetBlaster.

If you want to do this though a hint - add the server using the 'jtagconfig' command line tool, for some reason the Quartus GUI didn't work - some sort of authentication error.

Good luck with your Windows 7 migration. One thing I can say is that now it is all set up Quartus runs excellently on 7, very fast compile times so no complaints.
If I may make a suggestion though, just buy some sort of USB Blaster; I spent about £25 on a PCIEx LPT port and the usb cable would only have been marginally more, plus one of the posters on the Altera forum pointed out to me a program called Buzz: https://www.jtaglive.com/
Apparently it can acctually check the integrity of the tracks between the pins of devices on PCBs - that alone makes me very tempted by a USB Blaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.