Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altera apex 20k200e FPGA question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyngweekiat_85

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a problem regarding this board. Its on the jp12 which is suppose to be a 5v prototype port. It suppose to output 5v but then the port only put out 3.3v. so how suppose to drive the output to 5 excpet for adding an external converter? The LCD i am driving need at least 0.7Vdd for high signal which is around 3.5. Can anyone help me out on this?

@ltera apex 20k200e FPGA question

ur apex board hav 2 voltages compatible expansion port... use the 5V expansion port... it will b ok then...

remember to pull low (enable) the V7 pin on the board to enable to expansion port.

regards,
sp

yup... i am using the 5v io pin. the output voltage still is at 3.3. As for V7 if i pull it low... This is what i did. Inside program i do V7 <= '0' where v7 is mapped to the v7 pin. When switch it to 1 the whole port wont function. As for the output voltage i still get aroung 3.2 to 3.3... Wat i did wrong :?:

emm.. u just use it for 5v i/o.. dont worry it works.. 3.2 to 3.3V is high enuff to drive ur 5V logic...

regards,
sp

icic. So as for the driving of LCD. U done b4? can it be drive using the 5v port? the datasheet specific that it need 3.5 at least to indicate high. I am using an apex 20K200efc484-2X board. Have any experience on it?

Thanks for ur support till now.

actually for ur question... the LCD u just connect it to the board and using the reference design come wth the apex board (or the tutorial)... the LCD is already functioning perfectly...

anyway... i will ask for u regarding the voltage level... i also start to wonder even my old flex10k board, when i use the voltmeter to check the voltage, the high voltage is also 3.3V...

i will let u know later...

regards,
sp

icic. thx very much hope to hear from u soon. Too bad i got my own LCD... din use the one that come with the board... :(

Added after 2 hours 6 minutes:

I foung the ic datasheet i c for the Voltage translator h++p://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/65947/IDT/IDTQS3384Q.html

It seems that it translate 5 to 3.3 but not 3.3 to higher. So we have to and another convertor to it?

first... i think u try the LCD come wth the dev. board... see if it works... it should b, but u get the output voltage is around 3.3V which is quite weird... i think it should b 3.5 and above... please check again...

i still couldn't get any answer for low i/o voltage.. i check my UP2 i/o and it is also a 3.5V for high and not 5V.. but it works on all the 5V IC... so it shouldn't b any prob...except ur dev. board has some prob..

sure there is 3.3-5V IC converter out there.. just search again... use 2 common emitters configuration wth voltage divider at the input stage can achieve tht as well...

i'll let u know if i hav more info regarding ur low output voltage...

regards,
sp

thanks very much for the info.. i will try that. I also try to check with people and see wether there are any cause to it.. thx very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.