Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Allegro PCB Editor and OrCAD PCB Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismhyao

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dbdoctor allegro

I am confused between the two.

I am using OrCAD PCB Editor and my layout house is using Allegro; sometimes I got error message of 'database revision 14.x is too old ... must run dbdoctor' by trying to use the layout house' library. Does anyone know what is going on? and how can I make this work.

I also tried to convert the library using dbdoctor, but not all of conversion works.

allegro dbdoctor

Regarding confusion,
It is created by people loosely referring to Capture and CIS as "Allegro Schematic".

Cadence bought OrCAD (both Capture and Layout tool) some years ago
Capture is used and some how integrated as front end tool for creating netlist to ALlegro.
Recently Cadence dropped further development for Orcad Layout.

In addition native schematic tool for Cadence is Concept.

Now regarding error you are receiving, as you have not mentioned which version of Allegro you are using, judging by your post looks like is 15.XX or above if your layout house uses version 14.XX or lower then you have to run DB Dr. to upgrade to higher version.
I have never encounter any issue running DB Dr. Always worked fine.

HTH,

M

chrismhyao

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
orcad pcb editor

thanks for the detailed info.

Regarding the database version update, do you know if there is anyway that I can update all my libraries to the latest version using dbdoctor?

orcad dbdoctor

No problem,

From programs menu go to "PCB Editor Utilities" then "DB Doctor".

You can use wildcards to grab all libs or brds.

Regards,

M

chrismhyao

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The best option is go to Tool and run the data base check it will work 100%..
Regards
Praveen Bhat

The best option is go to Tool and run the data base check it will work 100%..
Regards
Praveen Bhat

If the board file is of the older version like 14.x and you are trying to open that in 16.x then the above suggested option do not work.

You have to go to the Start>Programs>cadence SPB 16.2> PCB Editor Utilities>DB Doctor select the board or library files and run update.

After that it will work fine

Why cadence has Two differnt PCB editors ? since both orcad & allegro comes under same tag i.e. "Cadence"

Why dont cadence make an one universal powerfull tool for PCB design?

what is the difference between both editor ? which is the best ?

Because for each new version software they are updating some new features...as technology grows they also have to modify the tool also.
Regards
Praveen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back