Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alert:Design reuse is good to employer but evil to employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweesw

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why analog design knowlege is always kept as secret for about 30 years?
Do you think analog IC design is a real art? I dont think so.
Analog designers are much more smarter than digital designers in this regard:
That is, they know the value of their work lies in the non-reusablity of their deliverables.
Also, they will not share their essential knowledge to the public because they know once everyone gets the key, there will be no more seats left in such a small playground.

Once design is finished, every ASIC designer will have to update their resume nowadays.
The reusability of their deliverables will make their lives even worse. Why they are still learning this , smart or foolish?

Remember: there is no union in the high-tech sector and the only protection for job security lies in the hands of each individual. Please behave yourself!

In million-gate asic design, no design resue is incredibly.Software code can be resue more than hardware design, do u think programmer lost his job?

Will you desgin your digital design from transistor level but not using gate level libraries? Do you complain using synthesis tools, new powerful workstations? Have you heard Moore's law?

The chips are too complicated. We can NOT get enough design engineers to finish future designs without using IPs, CAD tools, new workstations....

Re: Alert:Design reuse is good to employer but evil to emplo

I agree with sweesw..
he is right...

I used one of the IP of altera..
lots of thing in that core was not usefull..and my mates were ready to make new one..with compact design..but my boss said no...

they trust more on codes and not on designer..

may be IP vendor needs to change the licince agreement with employers..

they want to pay some percentage to designer as well... with royalty..

other wise one designer will eat others bread...
and at end of the day no one will be satisfied...

tom..

There are many problems in not allowing employees to expand their skills. These involve trading short term gains for long term losses. Repetition on the part of employees makes them more efficient which is good for the employer but bad for the employee. The employer can then dismiss employees with no longer needed skills and hire new graduates at lower salaries.

Once things come to steady state market forces will take over and there will no longer be a ready supply of new graduates because students find out that they will no longer have jobs after 5-10 years experience and select some other vocation to be trained in.

flatulent Quotes:

There are many problems in not allowing employees to expand their skills. These involve trading short term gains for long term losses. Repetition on the part of employees makes them more efficient which is good for the employer but bad for the employee. The employer can then dismiss employees with no longer needed skills and hire new graduates at lower salaries.

This is so true. I remember a nice story that proves his point, Much to the detrement of one company.

It seems that a well known radio/electronics manufacturer hired numerous engineers. They built a nice radio. After project was completed, they fired most of the engineers. Well to make a long story short, their competitor hired them. When A new contract came up? The origional had a nice radio, but wanted to sell nice test equipment to keep it in alignment. The rival won the contract because the radio they had could be aligned with existing equipment from the origional manufacturer.

I think lesson learned. Some companies want (and even encourages) their people to get more education. Unfortunately not many people want to become engineers. Just look at enrollments in college. many students want to major in the "White collar" jobs. I don't know about everybody else, but some of the students I see graduate from school scare me. I wonder what they were studying in school sometimes.
I give example here. We have one student working on project. He has two partners. Well he might as well be doing it himself. His other two partners are no help at all. But he has to drag them along. Another classmate (who does supervise and hire) would hire him, but not the other two. They were riding on the coat-tails of the other classmates.

Well I'll get off my soapbox. And Say-
Just my inputs.
wa

reuse is really a shining bright idea for employer and designer at the first glance. But it lasts never long, as we find out what we will design are pieces of gears only in a large design, seperated by different interface, buses.

5 years ago there may be no different between the concept guy and designer, everyone can be involved in quite a broad part of the flow. Look now, we are no more replaceable part. :evil:

Hello,

I agree that Engineering jobs today are getting more and more like office work. The old "designer" glamor is more of a myth now. You just learn the tools and get it done.

More and more Sales and pre-sales and after -sales jobs are appearing and their money is attracting lots of talented engineers on the market.

But anyway, maybe this is the way in most corporates. That's why start-ups are more fun although less rewarding in money terms.

Hi gam,

True. But unfortunately I don't see any way back.
If you know a way out of this mess, please share it. :))
Take care.

What about reuse of BFM? It seems to me that every company that I have worked for, redesign the BFM.

- KamenRider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back