Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice with dc motor speed control

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwafford13

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need some advice in designing a simple brushless DC motor speed control for a 12V 1-amp fan that is not available wired for PWM control. I want to buy components and assemble my own, as opposed to buying something off the shelf. I know just enough to be dangerous - that voltage control by potentiometer is energy wasteful, which is problematic, since this will be running on battery power only and battery life is a big issue. Is potentiometer currency control better? Are there other efficient and inexpensive options? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Hi,

For brushless DC motors you need a somehow intelligent control.
You can't control a brushless DC motor wit a potentiometer, you may do this with a brushed DC motor.

Klaus

I assume that your fan runs now full speed at 12V and you want to add speed control.
There is electronic drive inside your fan that converts 12V to pulses that drive the motor stator. This electronics can work at voltage below 12V maybe down to 5V, but some of the fans go in smoke when the drive voltage is too low, it happened to me. The reason is that the electronics inside over heat from lack of drive signal to the power transistor.
Try first on variable supply that your fan isn't the type that go up in smoke below 12V.

Reactions: j33pn

j33pn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back