Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

advantages of using an inverting op-amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

siongboon

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I could not find notes regarding the advantages of using a inverting op-amp as an amplifier compare to the non-inverting op-amp.
I believe there should be some.
Would like to ask if you can list some points for my references.

Thank you.
Siong Boon

Where does your believe comes from?
For my opinion, there are no particular "advantages" of the inverting configuration if compared with the non-inv. version.
In contrast, the input resistance of the non-inv. opamp configuration is much larger than that of the inverter.
However, in some cases a phase inversion is needed for stability reasons - for example in feedback loops that contain several blocks.
In this case, an inverting configuration is one possible solution.

Ya. Stable was the keyword I was looking for, but I couldn't find the relevant information.
I was taught in school that inverting configuration is more stable.
This mindset has been with me ever since.
I do not have the full understanding of the theory but I still remember about the advantage of being stable. Now that you have mentioned it, I felt much more comfortable about my memory.

My recent study shows that non-inverting op-amp is in fact better.
That was why I have been looking for information about the advantage of using a inverting op-amp. As much as possible, all design should consider non-inverting op-amp first as recommended on many of the website.

Thank you very much.

I was taught in school that inverting configuration is more stable.

That's not true. Both versions - inverting and non-inverting - need negative feedback.
The only difference is (a) that the non-inv. cicuit's gain is larger by "+1" if compared with the inv. opamp and (b) the larger input resistance.
Stability properties are exactly the same if the loop gain is the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Remark: Perhaps you have learned the following (which is correct): Negative feedback makes the dc operating point more stable, but - at the same time - the dynamic stability (against self-oscillations) is reduced.

I must have learn and remember the wrong thing.
Time to put in more effort. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.