Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

advantages of C over C++,PERL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey2005

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
advantages of c over c++

specify the advantages of C over c++ AND perl?

advantage of c over c++

Well, I don't know Perl, but I have some knowledge on C and C++. The keypoints here are:

- C is very near assembly programming: the hard use of pointers for example is a very powerful mechanism. Even so, C is still a compact language, practical and has a good semanthic. Syntax is clear also.

- C++ is extremely powerful in the sense you can build extremely complex systems without having to handle with low level situations: OOP is flexible. The tradeoff here is that your program will be slowly, because of the overload it adds (polymorphism, inheritance and so on provides great functionality, with less coding) to your program.

If you are programming embedded systems then you must take care about: the MCU you actually use and the IDE/compiler; everyone lets some degree of use of the complete set of characteristics of C++.

bye,

jedihe

advantages of c++ over c

Perl is a scripting language written in C. Allthough you can compile perl scripts. It is the language of the www. Best used for text file manipulation, sorting searching etc. You cant compare it to C or C++, it's a different animal. C is a pure programmers language best suited to embedded systems.
C++ is a system language best suited to large distributed systems. They all have their place.

advantages of c++

Perl is for scripting... hmmm!

I agree: C is best for embedded!

jedihe

advantage of c++ over c

If you program for the limited resourse platform, for
example micocontroller, you need to have a very
good control on memory usage and running speed.
The best (complete) control gives the assember
language, the next is C. For more high level
languages it is very difficult.
But when you program for virtually unlimited
resource, say PC or workstation, the project design
time can be the most important resource. In this
case better to use higher level languages.

advantages of c++ language

One issue with C++ for embedded systems is that, exact stack and timing calculations is very difficult. It is applicable to any OOP languages. This is due to objects constructors and destructors etc.

But some advantages C++ can be still be used with out any over head like function overloading etc...

Cheers
idlebrain

advantages of c and c++

What I understand of it is that C is more nearto the Hardware. C is more basic (for instance no strings in ANSI C) So with a small amount of keywords and tokens you can build complex programs.

c++ advantages

Perl is a pretty cool scripting language with some great keywords. Quite high level, to the unintiated it looks like noise! But realy fast and easy to write quick and dirty programs or large elegant structured ones.
It is also open source and a free download, well worth a look.

Another open source, free, high level, cool scripting language is Python.

Both of these are written in C, so if you know C, you should have no trouble picking these up.

advantages of c over perl

mobile-it said:
What I understand of it is that C is more nearto the Hardware. C is more basic (for instance no strings in ANSI C) So with a small amount of keywords and tokens you can build complex programs.

Ok no strings in C but you can use the library called string.h to use them or use arrays of chars...

I think the most powerfull thing of C is that you can program complex things with very less keywords in C.

advantages of c language

I think that every embedded project can be separated in two important sections: 1- the real time section of the application which is obviously better to be developed with pure C. 2- The rest of the application which is a user interface or a network interface or an interface to a database or things like these in which C++ is much more better than pure C.
Finally perl ( and Python ) are very powerful and handy scripting languages. I use them every where I can in my work because they make me much more faster. Any how, perl and python are not suggested for the core of an embedded application.

advantages of perl over c

wht is python?

advantages of python over c++

Python is a high level scripting language.
It is free open source download.
Visit the python site, give it a go.

Added after 24 minutes:

C++ is language developed from C by Bjarne Stroustrup to handle very large software systems that might be distributed over large networks. Using concepts taken from object orientated languages like smalltalk.
As software systems grew in size and became difficult to fully understand, a language like C++ was needed. Data could be encapsulated and software modules could expose interfaces. The code could be extended, so long as the interface was constant, the system would run.
Nontheless, C++ is an ugly, cryptic, difficult to understand and debug language.
A lot of so called C++ programs are nothing more than a C program with extensions, use Microsoft visual c++ and it writes more code in the background than you do in your program!
but look at the real hard stuff, code that is written using features such as templates and partial template specialization, multiple inheretence and friend functions. It gets realy ugly, like twisted spagetti.
Learn C++ in 21 days, more like, grasp the fundamentals in 3 years.
You might as well print learn Mongolean literature in 21 days.

advantages of c language over c++

"C" is considered more safe language at the moment. For a SIL product sometimes is needed to code in "C" with extra rules (MISRA, etc).

"C++" from my point of view it is more suitable for abstracting ideas, etc. Can be as much efficient as C if correct rules are followed. Not suitable for programming an small microcontroller that has not much to do. Best for complex aplication programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back