Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[ADS Momentum & HFSS] Spiral inductor: Ports, ground and substrate size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbebusoni

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm actually designing a spiral inductor (gold) on a InP substrate scalable in a range from 0,1 to 1 nH with the smallest capacitance possible and there are a few questions I would like to ask you.

1 - I did the tutorial of the spiral inductor from HFSS and tried to apply the same method to a InP substrate. As far as I understand I don't need the oxyde anymore since the InP is already isolating. Unfortunately the ground ring path affects the inductance value of my spiral. To deembed this, I thought that I could replace the spiral with a straight rectangular wire, calculate its inductance theoretically and then deembed it to find the added inductance of the ground ring. Is it a valid method?

2 - The return path is not necessary in Momentum, which is not the case for HFSS. Is it true? I read it somewhere but I can't find the source anymore.

3 - Do we see usually a relationship between the width of the substrate and the inductance of a spiral inductor? I was never viewed as a parameter in all the papers I could read about but HFSS is saying otherwise.

Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back