Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADS harmonic balance simulation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

khaled1990

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have a question regarding the Outputs of the harmonic balance simulation ?

i am designing a rectifier circuit , so at the output node to see the out put voltage , should i use the time domain signal ?
what is the output of ( magnitude of spectrum ) ? is this the output power or output voltage ?

Hi Khaled,

In case you wish to visualise the signal in time, then I would recommend you to use transient analysis.
For it, once you have built your schematic, just go to the menu on the top of schematic view of your ADS and select "Insert Wire/Pin Label" were you see written NAME. Give any name to it, such as Vout, and afterwards point over the line you want to visualise the signal and right click over it to fix. You shall be able to see the name on the schematic.

You can visualise it in time domain using the transient solver via the drop down menu (upper-left side) choosign Simulation-Transient. Specify the stop time and MaxTimeStep according your needs. Launch the simulation, once the DDS window appear, select rectangular plot and you shall see the time / Vout pin assigned. Then choose either of one to see the plot in time domain.

I hope it helps

Last edited:
enrico , thank you for your concern , i know this but i was asking concerning the harmonic balance when u pick a rectangular plot then u choose vout ,, different tasks can be done ,, oone of them is ( magnitude of spectrum ) what is the use of this command ?

does it plotpower or voltage ?
thanks again for your concern

Hi Khaled,

I would suspect this is voltage magnitude, but can you send a print screen or the zap file ?
So I can have a look and we clarify this.

Enrico.

Hi Khaled,

In case you wish to visualise the signal in time, then I would recommend you to use transient analysis.
For it, once you have built your schematic, just go to the menu on the top of schematic view of your ADS and select "Insert Wire/Pin Label" were you see written NAME. Give any name to it, such as Vout, and afterwards point over the line you want to visualise the signal and right click over it to fix. You shall be able to see the name on the schematic.

You can visualise it in time domain using the transient solver via the drop down menu (upper-left side) choosign Simulation-Transient. Specify the stop time and MaxTimeStep according your needs. Launch the simulation, once the DDS window appear, select rectangular plot and you shall see the time / Vout pin assigned. Then choose either of one to see the plot in time domain.

I hope it helps

Good for help

- - - Updated - - -

enrico , thank you for your concern , i know this but i was asking concerning the harmonic balance when u pick a rectangular plot then u choose vout ,, different tasks can be done ,, oone of them is ( magnitude of spectrum ) what is the use of this command ?

does it plotpower or voltage ?
thanks again for your concern
Input, You can plot the power and output plot the voltage. because the rectifier convert Rf to dc.

Good luck.

guys i have attached 2 images .. the first is my design and i marked the ouput voltage and the second image is the ploted results ,, the plot on the left is the time domain signal , and the one on the right is magnitude of spectrum ... , now im really confused because they both give different values ? i want to know whats my output dc voltage ? 1.png2.png. pleasee helpppp!!!!

The magnitude of your the resulted is the input only and the time domain signal of the resulted can be plotted to input and output.

sorry but i cant understand what you r saying ?

- - - Updated - - -

when i plot the time domain signal ( the figure on the left) the voltage at vout is 1.441 V , but when i see the magnitude of spectrum at 900 Mhz which is the operating frequency its 1.603E-6 ... whats the difference ? which one is my output voltage ?

Sorry, why you plotted the magnitude of the output ?

i dont really know whats is the purpose of this function :D thats the question ive been asking since ever and i didnt get any answers :D look ill tell you from the biginning lol
iam designing a rectifier circuit , to rectify rf to dc .. i want to get the value of the output voltage ..
so should i only use the time domain signal plot .. and the value i get out of this is my desired dc voltage or what ?
and again what does (plot magnitude of spectrum ) do ? it plots (frequency vs power ) or ( frequency Vs voltage ) ... and again thank you for your concern :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back