Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADS 2103, after adding 8HP PDK, no models available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwh

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am just getting started with ADS (2013.06 Linux). I've installed the IBM 8HP PDK from MOSIS, and installed the design kit in ADS by navigating to the libs.def file and selecting said file from the design kit manager. The PDK name and version are correctly shown in the design kit manager.

When I make a new workspace, I can select the PDK and a new schematic gives me the option to selected IBM BICMOS8HP in the left-most drop down (where one would normally find lumped elements, etc.). The issue is that the palette on the left side only has one icon for the IBM 8Hp BiCMOS "technology include," but no device models.

I've tried removing all my ADS preferences (completely removing the hpeesof directory) and starting from scratch with the same results. Any ideas?

Regards,
-J

I am just getting started with ADS (2013.06 Linux). I've installed the IBM 8HP PDK from MOSIS, and installed the design kit in ADS by navigating to the libs.def file and selecting said file from the design kit manager. The PDK name and version are correctly shown in the design kit manager.

Ok, correct.

When I make a new workspace, I can select the PDK and a new schematic gives me the option to selected IBM BICMOS8HP in the left-most drop down (where one would normally find lumped elements, etc.). The issue is that the palette on the left side only has one icon for the IBM 8Hp BiCMOS "technology include," but no device models.

What you are doing is correct.

In some PDKs, there are multiple palettes, and the library include element has its own palette. If there is only this one palette, and it has only the library include element, something is wrong. Do you see more elements in the PDK library/libraries with the component library browser?

I've tried removing all my ADS preferences (completely removing the hpeesof directory)

This must be some PDK-specific issue, not ADS setup.

Volker,

thanks for the reply.

In some PDKs, there are multiple palettes, and the library include element has its own palette. If there is only this one palette, and it has only the library include element, something is wrong. Do you see more elements in the PDK library/libraries with the component library browser?

It looks like there are no components being loaded into ADS.

The lib.defs file is as follows:
# Library Defs for BICMOS8HP_IDF design kit
DEFINE BICMOS8HP_IDF_tech ./BICMOS8HP_IDF_tech
ASSIGN BICMOS8HP_IDF_tech libMode readOnly
DEFINE BICMOS8HP_IDF ./BICMOS8HP_IDF
ASSIGN BICMOS8HP_IDF libMode readOnly

of note, ./circuits/models/Model.inc exists and points to the Spectre 8HP allModels.scs file (which is the model I use in Cadence for this PDK).

Again, thanks for the help!
-J

The lib.defs file is as follows:
# Library Defs for BICMOS8HP_IDF design kit
DEFINE BICMOS8HP_IDF_tech ./BICMOS8HP_IDF_tech
ASSIGN BICMOS8HP_IDF_tech libMode readOnly
DEFINE BICMOS8HP_IDF ./BICMOS8HP_IDF
ASSIGN BICMOS8HP_IDF libMode readOnly

Ok, this is quite typical: one library for the technology definitions and one library for the components.

I think you misunderstood my question for the library element browser. I mean the browser that you get with Insert > Component > Component Library. PDK elements are in the readonly libraries path of the tree view.

You can also switch the ADS project tree to "library" mode and then check what cells you find in the two designkit libraries. PDK elements are in the readonly libraries path of the tree view.

IDF PDKs do not contain any components/symbols for ADS except the Model Include symbol that you are seeing. This style of PDK is designed to support a design flow where the schematic only exists in Cadence Virtuoso and simulation is completed by a netlist being generated from Cadence is included in a simulation schematic that contains the BICMOS8HP Include symbol.

For more details search for "RFIC Dynamic Link" using the ADS online help.

Volker, RealAEL,

thanks for the help. Any idea if the IBM 8HP has a full ADS PDK (vice the IDF PDK)?

-J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back