Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Admissible "error" on current reference in corners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMSA84

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, I've designed a current reference and I will run PVT corners. My current reference is around 12uA @ 3.3V. It's a Delta Vbe Current reference. Independent of power supply voltage and temperature. I did a CTAT and a PTAT current reference then I summed up.

I'd like to know what is the admissible error when the voltage is at 3.6V and 3V @ -40ºC and 125ºC.

For example, what is the admissible error when we are operating at 3V and -40ºC when compared to 3.3V @ 25ºC.

Kind regards.

Hi,

If you don't have a spec at least you know where this reference is used.
Based on the spec of the other blocks perhaps you can define how much this reference can vary.

Regards

I would advise you to use MonteCarlo proces+mismatch to determine the accuracy:
1) mismatch can cause additional errors
2) Standard corners do not offer much variation in the BJT's. Often the BJT corner (fast/slow) is correlated with the resistors.
3) min/max values with a given accuary (e.g. +-3 sigma) is more useful than just a min/max value if the distribution has a shape of the normal distribution.

Do you have a calibration/trimming option in your current reference? What about +-3% after calibration?

This really derives from the performance of the blocks that
use the reference. If (say) you can tolerate +/-50% slew
rate variation then the reference can be crude. You might
be well off to simulate the performance-critical other blocks
with varying iref and determine the tolerable endpoints of
the distribution, at the corners of your "box".

Re: Admissible "error" on current reference in corners?

Nice ideas. I dont have current trimming. Right now my current referente (12uA) has an error around 17% @ 3V -40°C and 21% @ 3.6V 125°C. This was determined by corners. This current is to supply a current to a symmetrical OTA, a comparator with cross coupled load and to a sawtooth generator.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice ideas. I dont have current trimming. Right now my current referente (12uA) has an error around 17% @ 3V -40°C and 21% @ 3.6V 125°C. This was determined by corners. This current is to supply a current to a symmetrical OTA, a comparator with cross coupled load and to a sawtooth generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back