Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Adept not recognizing Nexys3 Spartan6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForteRock

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I'm an undergrad college student taking an advanced digital system design for FPGAs course. We're using the same Nexys3 board a previous course used, but this time around I can't program the actual board.

The .bit file itself is fine, but anytime I open up Adept I see this,
Adept.PNG
so I can't exactly get it onto the board.

I've tried re-downloading, older versions, moving computers - nada. The only other thread about this I could find as solved when someone fixed the pins on J8 and I think mine are set up correctly. Column M0 is covered, M1 uncovered.

The board's LED tells me everything is passing, though it could be half truthing. I don't have access to another board so I can't really check if it's the board is failing.

Can anyone help with this? Is there another software I can use with this board?

Many thanks,
- Forte

Hello all,

I'm an undergrad college student taking an advanced digital system design for FPGAs course. We're using the same Nexys3 board a previous course used, but this time around I can't program the actual board.

The .bit file itself is fine, but anytime I open up Adept I see this,
View attachment 120062
so I can't exactly get it onto the board.

I've tried re-downloading, older versions, moving computers - nada. The only other thread about this I could find as solved when someone fixed the pins on J8 and I think mine are set up correctly. Column M0 is covered, M1 uncovered.

The board's LED tells me everything is passing, though it could be half truthing. I don't have access to another board so I can't really check if it's the board is failing.

Can anyone help with this? Is there another software I can use with this board?

Many thanks,
- Forte

you can use xilinx impact instead, but you probebly have power issue, so connect external power supply to your board, and dont trust the usb power supply. also change jp1.

you can use xilinx impact instead, but you probebly have power issue, so connect external power supply to your board, and dont trust the usb power supply. also change jp1.

I don't have an external power supply handy today, I'll try that though. What voltage/amperage combo should I use?

Also iMPACT seems not to exist anymore - at least that I can find, but I'm not sure exactly what to download in place of it. Apparently I do have some files for iMPACT that came with the main ISE, but none that look like the whole program?

Do you know where in the C:>Xilinx it is or what site to download it from or what Xilinx currently offers I should use?

- Forte

Also iMPACT seems not to exist anymore - at least that I can find, but I'm not sure exactly what to download in place of it. Apparently I do have some files for iMPACT that came with the main ISE, but none that look like the whole program?

Do you know where in the C:>Xilinx it is or what site to download it from or what Xilinx currently offers I should use?

- Forte
It exists
C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64
C:\Xilinx\13.2\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64

It's in the same location for the two versions I have installed.

And if you install the ISE labtools it will install impact.

I don't have an external power supply handy today, I'll try that though. What voltage/amperage combo should I use?

- Forte

if you don't have a power supply - you can try connect your usb cable throught a powered usb hub, that has dedicated
batery charge usb ports - this can supply more current to the board.

If I remember correctly, in the newer versions of ISE, while installation you have an option to install only the iMPACT/LabTools. You can try it.
If ISE is already installed in your system, use the exe/binary for iMPACT from the path as indicated by ads-ee.

Now that I'm in the lab again I tried messing with the power supply and it's identifying!

Weird it had enough to pretend it was on and working when it wasn't fully.

Thank you!
- Forte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back