Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADE775x Energy Chips and Oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobakava

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ade775x

how can I use oscilloscope while working with this circuits?
I can not connect ground clips of the probe to the circuit's GND, right?
Do I need isolated probe or something else?

Regards

You have to insulate the mains ground of the power supply of the oscilloscope-then the ground of the probe will be floating and yoll be able to connect it to the ground of the working circuit. Second way is to use 1:1 transformer to supply the power circuit but is too expensive.

Hi Sobakaya!
The easy method for connect the any oscilloscope in "hot-line" is reallizes elliminating the GND pin of the oscilloscope. Your can purchase one specific connector for plugged two pin, instead of normally three.

Be aware that removing the supply ground/earth connection to the oscilloscope (called "floating" the 'scope) can be dangerous to you and shorten the life of your 'scope.

I had a bad shock once using a 'scope I had recently bought. The previous owner had floated it and I did not check the plug. All I touched was the probe socket!

Lots of people do it this way, but I don't.

Alternatives:
1. A differential/isolated 'scope probe.
2. A battery-powered 'scope.
3. Run the 'scope from a battery and inverter.
4. Use both channels, in channel differential mode. Just connect the center tips to the circuit, not the grounds. This has limited bandwidth and excess noise, but is often useful.

If you float, be careful and remember to reconnect the earth when you are finished.

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

My oscilloscope draws <20Watts. If I connect to my little UPS and remove charge plug of the UPS from the mains, will it be safe to work with it?
Is it ok to connect GND probe then?

Regards

Yes.

Just be careful, because It doesn't really matter how you isolate anything on the scope.
The bottom line is that your scope's gnd potential will be at the same level
to whatever you are hooking up to.

Cheers

ps. My scope has been default floating for years,no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back