Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Additional Pspice Library Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin W. Byrne

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am running windows XP with Pspice 9.1 student version installed. It has the standard librarys inside of the program. My question is I downloaded two zip file conserning Digi-Key librarys and data base. How can I use these Digi-Key parts in Pspice 9.1? Is there a way I can learn as a new person to Pspice as to procedure involving installing these files? They are all OLB Files. How also can I get a parts list of all parts in these files if both PSPad and TextEdit don't seem to be able to open this type of file all thou I am inexperienced with Text writeing. I have a little experience but not much. Does any one know of a tutorial on either subject. I have a total of 31 OLB Digi-Key files.

I rarely use Orcad, but I think OLB files are Orcad library files. Either add them to the list of libraries when you add parts to schematics or 'open' the libraries in Orcad to see what is in them.

Keith

The origional PSpice Vrs. 9.1 has 4 different files in the library folder. They are OLB files, ETC files, LIB files and a IND file. There is a different folder in another location with symbol files in it. If I open the OLB file how would a link to a symbol happen or do I have to generate a symbol with a Digi-Key part number attached to it?

The OLB is the library, the LIB is the SPICE model(you should be able to view that with a text editor like Notepad). The IND is an index files I think. If you show a link to the files you have downloaded I can have a look unless a more experienced Orcad/Pspice user can chip in first.

Keith

I downloaded them off of this site.
https://www.electronics-Lab.com they are in the download area under programs, simulators ect. I have gotten rid of notepad and use PSPad And TextEdit instead. I need to find out if these files are of use to myself. I am new to this site and did not know how to upload to site. Attached is a J/Zip folder with all 31 Digi-Key .OLB files in it. In case you do not know J/Zip is freeware found on the internet. I also use 7/Zip which is also freeware. Thank you for all help. Kevin

Attachments

• DIGIKEYLIBRARIES.zip
    961 KB · Views: 153

The OLB files show up fine in Orcad. Simply click on one and it should open and show you what is in them. I am not sure what exactly you have downloaded from the electronics-lab site - maybe you could give an exact link.

Keith.

Inside of that Zip file is those .OLB files. One of them for example is DK_TRANSISTOR.OLB. What is the procedure that you are talking about? Where do I place that particular file to click on it? Kevin

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.electronics-lab.com/downloads/schematic/index_2.html Attached is direct link to the spot of two Digi-Key Files also.
Best Kevin.

The normal way I would use libraries is to add them to the search path.

Start a new design and on the schematic page you would normally select "place part" (or SHIFT+P). That brings up a selection box. There is an option there "Add Library". Select that and browse to the new library location and select it. Now you will have a list of what is in that library so you can place it. In the list of libraries in the bottom left of the "Place Part" window there is a list of libraries. You can select just one library or several (or all) of them. You can use wildcards in the "Part" search such as BFR* to find all parts beginning BFR in all libraries.

Keith

- - - Updated - - -

The "database" I believe is only if you are using Orcard Capture CIS database - I don't use that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_CIS

Keith

Thank you: I have been able to open the DK_Files in capture. A problem is freeware does not support a library with more than 15
parts in it so I would have to license a version of PSpice and Capture to use those librarys as far as saveing them and saveing the schematic. Now the problem arises where do I go to learn how to write subckt files in text writers. Any ideas on PDF'S so I
can learn how and in effect take subckts parts out of those librarys & write a subckt file that will actually work in PSpice?

I don't know the limitations of the demo version of Orcad/Pspice, but if they are too restricting you would be better off with something like LTspice. It is free and unlimited. Spice has quite a few variants which modify basic Spice such as Hspice and Pspice but the majority of it is the same so learning about subcircuits and models with LTspice would not be wasted if you later used another simulator. Normally you would download a Spice model from a manufacturer and be able to add that to your library (with a bit of editing if necessary). LTspice would be fine for doing that.

Keith.

Thank you: I know LTspice and will look into what you said. I just have the desire to learn how to write files for programs that I can actually use due to likeing that sort of learning thing that is new to me. Also like C+ & C++ due to being involved and trying out command prompt for the first time. Best Kevin

Subcircuits and models in Spice are not really like writing software. Most models come from manufacturers. A model is a "primitive" device which you will normally use as a component in your circuit. Many complex devices are modelled as subcircuits which is simply a way of encapsulating a circuit using several devices models) for re-use. Again, these mostly come from manufacturers but you can create your own, particularly when creating hierarchical designs to make the higher levels easier to follow.

Keith.

I down loaded this piece of paper for a 1N4004 Diode. It goes exact as follows:
*SRC=1N4004;DI_1N4004;Si; 400V 1.00A 3.00us Diodes, Inc. diode
.MODEL DI_1n4004 D ( IS=76.9p RS=42.0m BV=400 IBV=5.00u
+ CJO=39.8p M=0.333 N=1.45 TT=4.32u ) The problem is it will not generate and upon looking at other types, there is no subckt designator or model definition at front of paper and no .end line like other end of paper of other .txt circuits. Can anyone look at this one and tell what is wrong? Should there be a top line:
Spicemodel 1N4004 and a line at the end of it:
.END Thank you Kevin

The part

Code:
MODEL DI_1n4004 D ( IS=76.9p RS=42.0m BV=40 IBV=5.00u 
+ CJO=39.8p M=0.333 N=1.45 TT=4.32u )
is the diode model. It is not a subcircuit. To use it you need a diode in your circuit somewhere and name it DI_1n4004

.MODEL statements are normally at the end of the netlist, but they don't have to be.

The + symbol allows model statements to be more than one line long - it is a line continuation identifier.

Keith

- - - Updated - - -

If you haven't already got a tutorial on Spice, have a look for one and work through it.

Thank you for your help in this matter. I can figure out what you mean now. I have subckt examples, and now a model example. A subckt zenear diode went right thru the process and that is what confused me. I will be signing off this post for a while but thanks for your replys. Best location Muskegon MI. USA Kevin

There may be better books around now, but the book on Spice by Paul W. Tuinenga is a very good starting point. Even an old copy would be of some use although I think it has been updated to cover newer simulator versions. My copy is based on the DOS version of Pspice when Multisim were the developer of Pspice.

Keith

I have one book based on version 7.1. If you or others need text books go to www.thriftybooks.com. There are other PSpice books and a lot of text books that I have found on that site. I know of one by the author you stated. The prices start at $4.00 and go up. There are two thrifty book sites. Only one has what I am
telling you about. Color of site should be brown, not blue like other site. I have a question if it is not off-topic and not allowed. I need a type, and name of calculator that is good for electronics from someone that knows. I have a Sharp EL-531W but need a better one that is easier to program and understand as the directions are lacking for use with PSpice and math problems. Do you have a name and number that you would recomend to a new-bi to math electronics style? Thank you Kevin

Thank you I checked out that web site and selection at first glance is same or good but prices are higher. Check out the site I told you about, bookmark for new-bi's
if you wish. Amazon.com USA and E-Bay.com USA are two other spots to check out that I know of. I will start another thread as I need advise on calculators spec's
ect. designed for electronic math and a math book or two. Best Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back