Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adding radiation boundary in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiturri

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
radiation boundary

Hi,

I´m trying to simulate spiral inductors with HFSS and I´m not sure about adding radiation boundary. I´ve simulated a very simple example with and without radiation and the results are very different! I don´t understand exactly what radiation boundary involves. Could anyone explain me sth about it???

thanks a lot

regards

amaya

Re: radiation boundary

Hi,
anytime you simulate an open structure in HFSS
an external box that contains your device needs to be placed.

On the external surface you must assign
a Radiation Boundary.

If you do not apply Radiation boundarie, PEC boundaries is applied by default.
This means that you inductor is closed in a conductive box instead to be open.

Rugbyfun

aiturri

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: radiation boundary

When simulating spiral inductor you need to do the following:

1) The most important is the return path. Use a loop of perfect electric around the spiral that will be the reference ground. Connect lumped ports from the Spiral edges to the ground.

2) Take a very big air box (in all axis) with radiation boundaries. If you think the air box is too big you can reduce its size and compare the results.

The most important thing is to MODEL THE GEOMETRY YOU ARE DOING MEASUREMENTS ON.

Regards,
Itai

aiturri

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back