Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADC value when ADC pin is not connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

banh

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i'm testing the ADC module of the microcontroller i'm using. 10-bit adc, so that maximum value is 0x3FF.

if there is an input volatge the read value will be changed accordingly.

however, one thing is that if i left the adc input pin unconnected, the read value is 0x3FF.

is there any reason for this value? why is it not 0x0?

Typically circuits are pull-ups... so you will either read totally random stuff and if not the maximum seems more reasonable

I wouldn't blame internal pullups ..
Usually microcontrollers have just one A/D converter module that is shared by all ADC pins and on top of that there is the S-H circuit .. see picture below ..
So, voltage levels that are present on the other inputs - after reading them - will affect this unconnected input reading as well ..

Regards,
IanP

banh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks IanP,

However, in my case,
throughout my whole program i select just that single ADC input, and never read from the other inputs. Hence, there should not be any effect from other inputs!

Status
Not open for further replies.