Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] AD8422 Voltage Follower

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandlerbing65nm

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello folks,

I want help on this voltage follower set-up of AD8422.
Vs = +/-15v
Vin = +/-10v
Rg = 10Meg
Gain = 1
AD8422.PNG

Voltage follower/Unity Gain is supposed to be copying the input voltage with offset. Why am I getting half the input voltage only, -5.006V?

Gain is set to one by using Rg = 10Meg resistor. Here's the gain calculation in the datasheet.
AD8422as.PNG

Is there a conflict between the unity gain circuit used and the gain calculation? Both have Gain = 1 configuration. If not, what is my wrong here.

Regards,
Chandler

Hi,

the quoted text clearly states:
"The AD8422 defaults to G=1 when no gain resistor is used".
It seems you want G=1, then why do you add a gain setting resistor?

Gain is set to one by using Rg = 10Meg resistor
This is against the given datasheet informations. How do you come to this conclusion?

Klaus

added:
Where do you have this circuit from? Obviously not from the datasheet, because no circuit in the datasheet shows a feedback from output to inverting input. Mind: This is no OPAMP!

My recommendation: read the datasheet and follow it´s informations, then everything will be fine.

To me it seems you don´t want/need an instrumentation amplifier at all --then just use a typical OPAMP.

Last edited:
AD8422 is not an standard OPAMP as you can see..
ad8422.png

With an instrumentation amplifier, the input voltage has to be connected between both inputs. In this case, connect the "-" input to ground. You don't use external feedback, it's already built inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.