Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Accessing usb drive on Vmware Linux on windows host

Status
Not open for further replies.

anoop12

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am using windows vista as a host OS. I have installed Redhat Linux as my virtual OS using VMWare. I am not able to access my pendrive on Linux .
I did mount it using mount command.

Any idea about this?

Thanks in advance

Usually there is a tool in linux OS to mount or auto mount the USB drives but in any case the usb drive should be available in the file explorer as a drive, you can also check the /media folder and also open a shell and write dmesg to see if the drive has been recognized correctly.

Another option is to use shared folders to access the usb drive, uncheck the drive on the vmware virtual usb so that it is mounted in windows host,
then open VM -> settings -> options -> shared folders (vmware tools must be installed in linux to use this)
then add the windows letter for the usb drive as a shared folder, you can then access it in the /mnt folder

Alex

Hi,

I am using windows vista as a host OS. I have installed Redhat Linux as my virtual OS using VMWare. I am not able to access my pendrive on Linux .
I did mount it using mount command.

Any idea about this?

Thanks in advance

To access USB devices from VMware you must enable in Host side. That is you have to check some thing similar to "Enable resource" and then start the Linux as guest. It will find the USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.