Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

accelerometer scale factor elementary question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kievari

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I've received a new accelerometer with a scale factor declared as: 800 mV/g @ 1.5g. I googled and searched the forum but still can't fully be sure I understand the accelerometer and its functioning, so please correct me where I'm wrong:

One thing that very helped me to get some understanding, was this post:
MAV-blog : Accelerometer to pitch and roll
where you see this:
x3cw12.png

giving the calculation of:
accelerometer = cos (theta) * gravity
theta = acos (accelerometer / gravity)

Formula is easy and beautiful, and this is my first question please:
what 'gravity' means there? Suppose the robot owning this accelerometer is on Earth surface, then this 'gravity' means 9.8m/s^2?

Next how to relate this to my accelerometer board output please?
I apply a 5V to its board and it has a 10bit ADC, so if I receive:
x(LSB) * 5(V)/1024(LSB)
now to get rid of V dimension I use the scale factor:
x(LSB) * 5(V)/1024(LSB) * (1/{800mV/g})
get rid of 'm':
x(LSB) * 5(V)/1024(LSB) * (1000/{800V/g})
or
x(LSB) * 5(V)/1024(LSB) * (10/{8V/g})
finally:
x*(25/4096)g

questions:
1. but this finall scale factor is a very small number! seems wrong :(
2. in data sheet the scale factor is declared: 800 mV/g @ 1.5g
how to take to account the 1.5g? I can imagine when the vertical upward is 1g and vertical downward is -1g, but can't imagine 1.5g.
3. Am I right with the g unit there? As long as I know, this is an embedded number like 9.8m/s^2 on Earth surface. So finally, having 'g' in both accelerometer and gravity in this formula:
theta = acos (accelerometer / gravity)
we remain with a scalar number and everything stands good at the end of the story, correct?!

Please help to make this clear!

Hi,

it´s quite easy to calculate the acceleration for every axis. Put your accelerometer flat on the table.
It will output the bias values for X- and Y-axis (acc_x_bias). If you are using a 3-axis accelerometer, then the Z-axis will output the value for -1g.

Now rotate the a accelerometer 90 degrees X-axis up. You get the +1g value (acc_x_1g) for the X-axis. Do this for every axis.

With these calculations you get the acceleration in g and finally the angle in degrees.

sf_x = 9.80666 / (acc_x_1g - acc_x_bias); // Calculate the scale factor for X-axis
acc_x = sf_x * (adc_x_reading - acc_x_bias); // Calculate the actual acceleration of X-axis
angle_x = asin(acc_x / 9.80666) * 180.0 / PI;

Be aware that a calibration routine for high performance devices are much more complex, but for simple applications this should fit.

Regards

Udo

Your calculation assumes, that the acceleromter output would be fed to a 5V/10-Bit ADC without additional amplification. You correctly calculated an LSB of
0.0061 g respectively about 1/164 g. You would get a fourfold sensitivity by applying a gain of four before digitizing the measurement.

but can't imagine 1.5g
Drive a roller coaster, you'll imagine after that.

Hello FvM,

Where do you see values like "5V" or the resolution of a "10-bit ADC" in the calculation?
That´s the nice thing of this way to calculate the acceleration.
It works even without knowing the sensivity (+-mV/g), the full scale (+-x.xg) of the accelerometer, the ADC resolution and supply voltage.

Sorry, but I cannot follow your objection...

Regards

Udo

It's not in your calculation. When using a 10-Bit ADC, as said in the original post, quantization shouldn't be ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.