Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ac voltage to current converter circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thiruvikraman

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to convert (0-333)mV ac to (0-5)Amps current. Please give me any idea about the circuit.

As usual, way too little info. :???:

Is the output current AC or DC?

What is the frequency of the AC?

Do you want the input AC voltage to control the output current or the voltage?

What is the maximum output voltage you need?

As usual, way too little info. :???:

Is the output current AC or DC?

What is the frequency of the AC?

Do you want the input AC voltage to control the output current or the voltage?

What is the maximum output voltage you need?

Output Current: AC

Frequency : 50Hz

Yes, i want to control the output current by giving input voltage.

I don't bother about the output voltage.

Generally speaking, use a power OP or discrete class-AB or class-B output amplifier with a current sense resistor for feedback.

Is that plus and minus 5V or 0V to 5V?
He said the output current is AC, so I guess the output voltage will be AC as well, unless there's an extremely unusual load.

Since the OP's not exactly forthcoming with detailed requirements, the smart option would probably be to design a power amp running off a supply of +-10V or so, capable of 5A rms output current and 5V rms output voltage, with a current-sense resistor for the feedback. I'm not sufficiently bored to tackle that right now though.

Actually, I get the distinct impression the OP doesn't really know what the requirements are, and is just guessing at the output voltage.

Frequency is 50Hz,
Sine waveshape
+12Vdc power source or +24V dc power source

I have a energy meter of input (0-5) Amps and also I have CT giving the output of (0-333) mV so i want to connect the CT to my energy meter. For that I want to convert the AC voltage of (0-333)mV to AC current (0-5)Amps. This is exact purpose of my project.

What's the CT input current? Why not interfacing it to the energy meter directly?

The question is, if the current you are measuring is 5A and the energy meter measures 5A, why do you need an interface circuit? Is the current transformer required for isolation?

What is the turns ratio of the transformer?

You could just use an identical current transformer, connected in reverse to the first transformer, to convert the output current of the first transformer back to 5A.

Status
Not open for further replies.