Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC Solenoid valve Drive with constant Voltage & varying current

Status
Not open for further replies.

hn123

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

I wants to drive solenoid valve which have rating as 24AV voltage and 75mA holding current & 90mA inrush current

I can not understand ow i drive this by using controller.

what is holding and inrush current ?

please guide me foe this.

Can i also used POWER MOSFET and relay to drive it

When you initially apply power to a solenoid (it's an inductor, remember) there is a large current which is required to charge the magnetic field and actuate the solenoid. Once the solenoid is actuated, not as large a magnetic field is required to hold the solenoid actuated. From a magnetic point of view, you've got a piece of metal some distance away from an electromagnet. You need a certain amount of current to generate the field to move that piece of metal. Once the metal piece has moved closer to the electromagnet, you don't need as much current to hold the metal piece.

No, you can't use a MOSFET to drive an AC solenoid, it would only work for DC. You'll need to use a solid-state relay or something else.

You could use a TRIAC to drive the solenoid if you don't need ground isolation between the drive signal and the AC voltage.

hi,

i am very new to work with solenoid valve,

i have to use only TRIAC for it or other component is also required for compete the connection.

Please suggest me any compatible TRIAC with above specification of Solenoid valve .

Regards,

you can use the given circuit which has the following features,
1.It uses opto-coupler(MOC3021) to provide isolation between control input and the TRIAC
2.The LED of opto-coupler is driven by BC547 which reduces the uC current(current drawn from the uC's pin would be very less)
ac.JPG

if dont need high Switching Frequency (Valve Enable / Disable Frequency) you can use a simple Relay To control Valve State

Best variant for battery application design, solar systems and power saving designs in global is impulse relay. This type of relay uses power only when changing state of relay. With standard relay coil will use some current whole time during relay is switched on.

Hi tpetar
This Type of Relays are Large and Expensive , Did you Know Cheap And Small Type of This Relays?

hi,

Thank you ,I will test my device with given Circuit.

Thank You.

Hi tpetar
This Type of Relays are Large and Expensive , Did you Know Cheap And Small Type of This Relays?

No my friend, its not bigger then standard, usualy this impulse relays are manufactured in automatic fuse cases, for rail.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/genera...lse&cm_sp=PCA-_-Automation LP-_-FinderArchive

What you need is an 'impulse' or 'step' relay that alternates its contact state with each voltage pulse supplied and holds that state until the next voltage pulse arrives.

impulse_bottom.jpg

Prices for impulse relays floating from few euros to 40-50eur and up, all depends what you need, like for other things.

I bought several for two euros from Germany.

Did you Know Small Type of This Relays?

Status
Not open for further replies.