Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC response of a polyphase filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

yxo

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
filtering an ac constant current source

Dear colleagues,
I am struggling with a polyphase filter. Everything almost ok (or at least it seems to me so), but my AC response is not symmetrical. I don´t know if it is correct or something going wrong. What the source if a such response? Thank you in advance.

ac response filter

The filer was made using gm-c technique. Transconductors are ideal.

ac response gain from current source

I didn't really understand what you mean by the ac response being not symmetrical. Then, is it normal to have dc gain of almost -80db?

AC response of a filter

I guess, if you show the circuit, the reason for the residual DC gain will be obvious.

Re: AC response of a filter

sutapanaki, "Not symmetrical" for me is attenuation from the low frequency not the same as from the high frequency.
FvM, I attached the basic cell. There are five similar ones with a different gm and capacitors.

I guess, if you show the circuit, the reason for the residual DC gain will be obvious.
Yes, it's as expected. The filter has a DC (respectively low frequency) path to the output, DC/LF suppression is only achieved by feedback. Due to the finite amplifier gain, a resisual DC/LF transmission exists.

AC response of a filter

I think you'd better check your transfer function.
what is the Q value of this filter?
If Q>1, the peak would appear.

AC response of a filter

FvM, my OTA are just voltage controled current source and a resistor 1000G to ground.
mengcy, this filter has butterworth response. A peak will appeared if Q>0.707. Also, Q is determined for every complex pole in a filter, not for a whole filter.

FvM said:
Yes, it's as expected. The filter has a DC (respectively low frequency) path to the output, DC/LF suppression is only achieved by feedback. Due to the finite amplifier gain, a resisual DC/LF transmission exists.

I would appriciate it, if you suggest any methodology how to decrease the residual DC gain. Thank you

AC response of a filter

what about AC-coupling the input...

AC response of a filter

what about AC-coupling the input...
Yes, I think, that's the obvious way with finite gain components. As an additional comment, I don't think that filter gain values below -120 or -140 dB have much real meaning, so the request for symmetry can be somewhat relaxed.

yxo said:
I would appriciate it, if you suggest any methodology how to decrease the residual DC gain. Thank you
In most cases the observed residual dc gain is a result of inproper part and gain matching between both branches.

yxo said:
FvM, my OTA are just voltage controled current source and a resistor 1000G to ground.

Is this ("1000G to ground") a joke or a typing error ?

LvW said:
yxo said:

I was talking that I used ideal model (macromodel) which included ideal controlled current source and ideal infinite output impedance due to I made the design with transconductance amplifiers.

yxo said:
LvW said:
yxo said:
I was talking that I used ideal model (macromodel) which included ideal controlled current source and ideal infinite output impedance due to I made the design with transconductance amplifiers.

OK, I see your point. Forget this resistance.
However, as far as your question at the beginning is concerned:
Remember how the polyphase filter is developped: A hypothetical lowpass (for pos. and neg. frequencies) is somewhat shifted as a result of a frequency transformation.
Because this lowpass approaches zero in the neg. frequency region only at minus infinity, you cannot ecpect that the resulting polyphase bandpass approaches zero at f=0. Instead, there must be a finite dc value. That is no error, but a normal behaviour as expected. And therefore, there is a certain filter symmetry only in a limited region around the mid frequency. Try to redesign the filter based on a larger frequency shift - and you will see that the residual dc gain is smaller.
Regards
LvW

Added after 5 minutes:

Correction: The resulting bandpass has a fully symmetrical response when you extend the frequency range into the neg. region. But, that´s only theoretical.
In practice, the left and the right branch of the transfer curve around the mid frequency are symmetrical only in a band which is twice the frequency shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back