Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC mains measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis29

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the best circuit for AC mains(230V) measurement. The circuit should have output voltage swing between 0-5V for microcontroller input.

If you are not experienced with working with mains- level voltages, the best is to use a small step down transformer. Let's say 230 to 6 volts.

Then with an opamp, make a precision rectifier. Use a resistor divider afterwards to lower the voltage such that the sinewave peak is lower than the 5 volt microcontroller supply. About 20% lower should provide margin for high line conditions.

what is the rating of transformer?? it is just for sensing right?? so how much small i can make it??

I built my own house voltage monitor using an inexpensive 'wall wart' type transformer, 7VAC. It drives a simple DC supply. The entire circuit draws less than 100mA. It has a 3914 IC which lights one of 10 led's.

i think you can get hall sensors specifically for mains measurement too.

- - - Updated - - -

if you are sensing for mains with a transformer and dont need to draw current as such, you still need fairly some size because of the build up of magnetising current.

Status
Not open for further replies.