Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC magnetic field at 1Ghz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I got a project that needs a 1Ghz AC magnetic field at 10cm from the antenna. I am planning to use a coil as antenna, and the field strength ideally as high as possible so the AC current in the coil should be as least in the order of few hundred mA.

Ok, I have never in my life touched high freq circuits, so I'm learning from scratch here. The first question is can I achieve this with off the shelf components I can buy? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

cause dimension are not short related to wavelength, you would need EM simulation to calculate the loop antenna (I wouldn't call it a coil) halfway accurate. The next point is , that at 1 GHz the "coil" also has considerably radiated power. Thus the equipment must either be operated at an ISM frequency (if power is within respective limits) or have a closed metallic shield.

It seems meaningful to have one "winding" only, trying to match 50 ohms impedance and use an UHF amplifier (after calculating the power requirement).

Regards,
Frank

Thanks for the advise frank! I will do the simulation, do you think I should include a finite electron drift velocity in the antenna because of the high freq?

I think usual EM simulators will consider all substantial effects. To my opinion, these are basically electromagnetic field quantities and conductor properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back