Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Absolute value of Signed(15 downto 0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

acoektos

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone

Im trying to detect an event from some ADC data based on the Magnitude of a peak in VHDL. This should just be as simple as

Code:
signal EVENT_DETECTED : std_logic;
signal INTERNAL_REG_IN : signed(15 downto 0);
signal CLK : std_logic;
signal RST : std_logic;

EVENT_DETECTOR : process(RST,CLK)
if RST = '0' then
  EVENT_DETECTED <= '0';
elsif RISING_EDGE(CLK) then
  if abs(INTERNAL_REG_IN) > 10000 then
    EVENT_DETECTED <= '1';
  else
    EVENT_DETECTED <= '0';
  end if;
end if;

But when I simulate with all data from X"FFFF" downto X"0000" I see a little inconsistency around the shift from -32768 and 32768. At the rising edge when internal_reg_in have value "1000 0000 0000 0001" (-32768) then EVENT_DETECTED signal goes low for one clock cycle (until the internal_reg_in have value "1000 0000 0000 0000" at the rising clock where it goes high again. Last I checked abs(-32768) = 32768 which is much higher than 10000 which should make the EVENT_DETECTED high, so why is it going low in my simulation?

I am using Xilinx ISE and ISim for synthesizing and simulation. I have attached two screenshots of simulation showing the problems I have seen.
Screenshot_zoomed.png
Screenshot zoomed into the problem.
Screenshot.png
Screenshot of all the test from X"FFFF" downto X"0000".

I hope that someone is able to tell me why my simulation shows this behaviour and tell me what I can do to make it accept -32768 as a number for which the absolute value is larger than 10000.

Thanks in advance

It will be because x"8000" = -32768, and the abs value is 32768. This requires 17 bits to represent signed which is 1 more bit than the origional, so the actual value wil return 0 (or maybe even x"8000", as actual required value is x"08000"), which is < 10000. Try this instead:

if abs( resize(INTERNAL_REG_IN,17) ) > 10000 then

Thank you very much. That helped me a lot. Totally logical, however, not something I were aware of before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back