Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

above 60GHz? looking for commercial products

Status
Not open for further replies.

totowo

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
above 60GHz?

recent years, research on about 60GHz is focused by many institutes, such as Razavi...

By now, are there some commercial products, maturely?
and are they implemented in GaAs MMIC?
Please give me some infomations about the Corps and products, thanks!

Re: above 60GHz?

totowo said:
recent years, research on about 60GHz is focused by many institutes, such as Razavi...

As far as I know the applications using such frequency are radars. I dont think that such frequency can be used widely in mobile phone and PC coz this will be radiating.

above 60GHz?

It is still in lab
maybe 5 years later, I guess

above 60GHz?

most of this range are GaAs and SiGe
but there are research efforts on UCB and many placesto make 60 GHz CMOS

Khouly

No. That's wrong.

60GHz band is for fast data rate communications, normally for video streams. One of its application is for wireless HDMI. Its said that the data rate is as high as 4Gb/s.

AdvaRes said:
totowo said:

As far as I know the applications using such frequency are radars. I dont think that such frequency can be used widely in mobile phone and PC coz this will be radiating.

above 60GHz?

Fujitsu Lab made 90-nm CMOS power amplifier for 77GHz
**broken link removed**
Toshiba has realized a 60GHz CMOS receiver chip for the millimeter-wave band. It integrates an on-chip antenna, LNA, a mixer with a preamplifier and a phase-locked loop (PLL) synthesizer in a die that is only 1.1mm x 2.4mm without pad area.
http://www.physorg.com/news101136254.html

khouly said:
most of this range are GaAs and SiGe
but there are research efforts on UCB and many placesto make 60 GHz CMOS

Khouly

Do you know which companies have released product with GaAs & SiGe?

In fact I am interested in the 60GHz with CMOS,but I am not familar with the mature GaAs or SiGe ones....I just want to know the limit and contrast that CMOS and GaAs/SiGe.

Thanks!

There are a number of companies who is working in E-band (76-96 GHz). The highest data rate what I know is about 10 GBs and the link is about 5 miles long for an urban environment. It may be a good competition for fiber optics. There are also some chip sets for E-band available. It just started to be used recently, but I remember very similar systems that were used in 60-ties in big cities for military and non-military communications.

totowo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Could you help to list some companies? I just want to check their specifications.

RF-OM said:
There are a number of companies who is working in E-band (76-96 GHz). The highest data rate what I know is about 10 GBs and the link is about 5 miles long for an urban environment. It may be a good competition for fiber optics. There are also some chip sets for E-band available. It just started to be used recently, but I remember very similar systems that were used in 60-ties in big cities for military and non-military communications.

above 60GHz?

check ihp , they are doing a good job with SiGe
they develop their own technology

Khouly

totowo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

khouly said:
check ihp , they are doing a good job with SiGe
they develop their own technology

Khouly

I check IHP's webpage, they have done many brilliant works.
It's an institute in German, right?

Is there any other commercial companies which have released mature ICs (mostly GaAs is adopted) in above 60GHz?

above 60GHz?

IHP is a foundry and IC design company and they deal with research institues in Germany

and i agree with u , they have done brilliant work

khouly

To totowo

I signed NDAs, so there is not so much I can tell you. Northrop Grumman has a chip set for E-band. Company named E-band is doing design for such equipment. Some companies in Eastern part of US and definitely in Europe too. I think all commercial companies may be found through Google.

RF-OM said:
To totowo

I signed NDAs, so there is not so much I can tell you. Northrop Grumman has a chip set for E-band. Company named E-band is doing design for such equipment. Some companies in Eastern part of US and definitely in Europe too. I think all commercial companies may be found through Google.

yep, I know that the E-band is used for the military radar and so on...That's why I can not gather some infos just like the common RF companies...:(

But many thanks for your help!

Rainleo said:
No. That's wrong.

Its said that the data rate is as high as 4Gb/s.
4Gb/s is not high. We can make such a stream with only a 2 Ghz Clock frequency.
Here we are talking about 60 Ghz.
This frequency is dangerous for human body and It causes cancers !!

The 60GHz radio is really lossy transmitted through air. So, how large the power
need to be boosted?

above 60GHz?

Sunlight causes cancer too. Better not go outside.

Here is a commercial module:

**broken link removed**

above 60GHz?

Some radar systems utilizing D/E/W band

GeSi and III-V compound semi-conductor devices can be used.

GaAs always used as HEMTs and HBTs,

GeSi can give a high speed,but not very high power compared to GaAs HBT.

Now faster devices as InP HBT with ft above 300GHz are tuning into products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back