Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About the design of the OTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeknight

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I design an OTA,after I compute the W/L of all MOSFETs,but when I simulate the OTA,I found the MOSFETs not working in the Saturati.How to modify the W/L of the MOSFETs in general,could you give me some experence?

Hi
u just refer the "Tradeoff and Optimisation in analog CMOS design" by Blinkley .....
u will get y ur calculated valu do not work and also how to optimise the circuit to get good performace ...i am reading it now ...

Mainly it is not decided simply by W and L. The idea is to reduce Vgs and increase Vds for operating point.

111.png
when i sim the circuit,M5 is always work in Linear,what is the problem,how should I adjust?

too bad the image cannot be accessed... yeknight can you verify and re-upload?

M5 is always work in Linear,what is the problem, how should I adjust?

Your vin potential defines VDS(M5).
If you want M5 to operate in saturation region,
both {vin+,vin-} > Vdsat(M5) + Vth{M1,M2} .

Your vin potential defines VDS(M5).
If you want M5 to operate in saturation region,
both {vin+,vin-} > Vdsat(M5) + Vth{M1,M2} .

erikl,

i think the equation for the M5 transistor to work in saturation is : Vin+>Vdsat5+VGS1 since :

VDS5>Vdsat5 =>
VD5 - VSS>Vdsat5 => (D5 is S1)
VS1 - 0 >Vdsat5 =>
Vin+ - VGS1>Vdsat5 =>
Vin+>Vdsat5 + VGS1

The same can be written for in- input.

Correct me if i miss something or make any mistake.

hi jimito

you're correct using Vth instead of Vgs is an approximation but a pretty decent one since the difference between the two is the overdrive voltage which has to be small to operate the diff pair in a region of high gm/Id

Yes i was suspecting that,i mean that erikl was implying that M1 works with low overdrive voltage.I just wanted a confirmation and to give a more general equation.

... e. was implying that M1 works with low overdrive voltage. I just wanted a confirmation and to give a more general equation.

Of course you're right, jimito,
I just wanted to give a rough approximation. For M1/M2 working in a region of high gm/Id = moderate/weak inversion, their Vgs would be close to (or even less than) their Vth. On the other hand -- due to body effect -- they could well need a bit more Vgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back