Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About the advantages by using the module to control the intensity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raghunadh

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good Evening,

I want to know what are the advantages of the module designed by sunrom technologies to control the intensity of a bulb other than a relay or transistor to do the same work.

DIMMER MODULE.JPG

With Regards,
Raghunadh.

Thanks in Advance.

I do not know module parameters but I can assume it i an electronic light dimmer. You can dim a light from a bulb with a series resistor but then you lose a lot of power by dissipating it as heat from that resistor. Instead, electronic light dimmers interrupt the current by pulses, and the current in the bulb is varied by pulse length or frequency depending on dimmer design.

For the cost of such dimmer you save on the heat otherwise lost in the resistor

Good Evening,

I am attaching the datasheet of this module, can you help me now by seeing the specifications of the module.

With Regards,
Raghunadh.

Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

• Datasheet of dimmer interfacing circuit.pdf
    977.2 KB · Views: 96

As I can see now, it is an AC triac dimmer with a digital control. In the data sheet it is shown that using two push-buttons you can adjust light intensity or a fan speed in 16 steps from zero to full output.

You could make a similar dimmer for DC circuits using a transistor but like with resistors, there will be a heat dissipation which wastes energy. In AC circuits the described dimmer does not dissipate power by sending longer or shorter AC pulses to load ac described. Only please make sure the load is "resistive" like lamps or small fans. Inductive or interrupted loads like power motors or drills can kill the Triac in the dimmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back