Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

about THD(total harmonics distortion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackielin007

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys

when calculating the THD of a certain circuit, are you do a one tone(amplitude=V) simulation and calculate it. And how about get THD from two-tone(V1,V2 = 1/sqrt(2) V) sim?

it looks like the result is different. coz two-tone sim will generate intermodulation terms. So the THD will be lower

I am confused. How is THD exactly defined???

Thx

it's interesting question!
maybe calculate THD to each signal!

i am not sure but i think when they say HD they mean the harmonic(mul;tiples of fundemental) distortions and when they say IMD they mean non-tones distortion (non-harmonic distortion)

That seems right , in two-tone test, results are usually described by IM2, IM3, ... . Depending on the circuit and application, THD or IM3 may be improtant. for example in a Low-pass filter it is common to describe distortion in terms of THD whereas in high-Q bandpass filter IM3 is a better figure for linearity.

THD is defined for signal which is distorted by nonlinearity in the components of a ckt to which the signal can a o/p..
THD =sqrt(sum squares of all harmonics)/fundamental
gen is <2%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back