Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

about mii, rmiii and smii interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

haneet

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Can any1 give me some details about the mii, rmii and smii interface. It would be great if you could provide me with some tutorial stuff.

I am trying to implement this stuff but dnt hav any idea about these.

Thanks,
Haneet

MII stands for Media Independent Interface (in your case).

Media Independent Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here, media independent means that interface is independent of the type of PHY device connected at end. Generally used for Ethernet applications.

Similarly, RMII stands for Reduced Media Independent Interface and SMII for Serial Gigabit Media Independent Interface (SGMII is actually called).

Go through the links below. if still you have questions, you can ask

Reduced Media Independent Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Serial Gigabit Media Independent Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thankx Pankaj.... This gives me a general idea of the schemes but could you provide me some tutorial which gives detail description which could help me with implementing a hardware? I guess MII is the best one to start with.

Thanks,
Haneet

hi haneet.. what you read at Wikipedia is really good at theoretical.. for implementation purpose may i know what your applications and processors are?

I have worked on these interfaces long time back.. The tutorials for implementation purpose that you want, you can find on either Intel or Marvell Semi website.. I have used Marvell 88E6218 in one of my previous design, which is a gateway router and Intel LXT071 which is a PHY. You can search for semiconductor companies' websites which work on Ethernet applications. you can find many tutorials there. If still you need anything, revert back. for your help

https://www.marvell.com/transceivers/assets/Marvell-88E3016-Fast-Ethernet.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.