Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About internet and IPv6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahesXtremeEngineering

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Recently i have heard that the internet is changing to IPv6. Does it change all the server IP address to IPv6. Is there anything we(client) need to do about this.

For now, as a business, you can start to get experience of IPv6 by using a 'NAT64' capability which will allow
any potential IPv6 clients to still access your business's existing IPv4 web-site.
If you're not a business, but a normal Internet user, you don't need to do anything.
(Well, you could experiment with IPv6 but you don't need to move to IPv6).
Of course, with IPv6, it means that your router will no longer need to perform NAT of many addresses to
a single address, so your home devices can effectively be "always connected" to the Internet if the devices
are using IPv6. But it requires your ISP to allow IPv6.

I guess my only worry is the fact of needing to learn how to subnet with it again, or is it all automated at any given point? I do know that it is going to take them a long while to be able to implement this thing fully. I am very entertained to see if this is going to cause more problems with the amount of lag on servers and what not.

Subnetting is in principle the same as IPv4. IPv6 offers some great features like autoconfiguration, and the ability to have different types of IPv6 addresses, such as link-local and site-local. Definitely an existing IPv4 network infrastructure would need to be upgraded for IPv6, because of the performance impact. As you say, there may be issue with servers too, and hopefully server and OS vendors have had time to improve the performance of their IPv6 stacks. I think many people are unfamiliar with IPv6 (me included), so the idea of running NAT64 is attractive for several reasons, i.e. to at least be ready for IPv6 clients and to know what to do if the business expands and there are no public IPv4 addresses, and at the same time that would also help to begin to get used to obtaining IPv6 addresses from the ISP, etc.

By using DNS. Your computer talks to a DNS server. The DNS server contains records (much like a database). In the case of a translating a
name to an IP address, you want the DNS server to give you a record known as an A-record. See here for the complete list of records possible (not all will be used).
You can force your computer to do a DNS query by using the windows cmd prompt, and typing ipconfig /flushdns (to clear the local
cache) and then ping a site.
Or, just ping something you have not communicated with in the past - I did a website ping, and this was the result.
dns.jpg
Notice the query website address, and the response, circled in red. The 82.150... address is the IP address.
Also notice that the PC also automatically did a DNS query for an 'AAAA-record' immediately afterwards. AAAA is for an IPv6 address
request. Notice from the response that the website company doesn't yet have a public IPv6 address (bad practice on their behalf in my opinion - large
organizations should be implementing IPv6).
(That software in the screenshot is called wireshark by the way).

Last edited:

In our web browsers there will be a window like this....
Capture.PNG
what are we setting here...

This is not related to server IP address.. What's the scenario and then what's the question?

They define where your browser directs HTTP requests. This is not related to this thread at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.