Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About I/Q signals in Rx and Demodulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ling220

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
120307233948441.jpg

Fig 1. Hardware diagram of and I/Q Modulator and Mathematical Background

In low-IF receiver, the quadrature LO signals are generally used in order to dissect RF signals into baseband I/Q signals and further used for image rejection.
From what I've known, in homodyne receiver when we dissect RF signals into I/Q with quadrature LO mixing, the I/Q signals are totally distinguished and each represents the I and Q information.

Today, one of my classmates told me that the I/Q signals in receiver are different from those of demodulator.
What she said is that the signals on the baseband I/Q path in the receiver are not seperated into the I/Q data shown in Fig 1. Her opinion is that the I/Q in receiver are a little different from the I/Q data in Fig 1 and the signals on each I/Q path in Rx are still the combination of IQ data(Icos(2*pi*fc*t)-Qsin(2*pi*fc*t)) as shown in Fig 1 and finally the I/Q data seperation will be done in demodulator.

Is her opinion right?

I am getting confused because if she is wrong, what is the role of demodulator after homodyne receiver using quadrature mixing thus having I/Q baseband path?

Status
Not open for further replies.