Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

about checking the speed of the direct form fir 1 and it's transpose

Status
Not open for further replies.

kannan2590

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how can i check the speed of operation of direct form fir filter1 and it's transpose while simulating in modelsim. I am using xilinx . What does the synthesis report show.Is there any way to compare the speed of operation of direct form fir 1 and it's transpose. can anybody give the idea.

Hello kannan2590

Perhaps max clock frequency in Xilinx synthesis report could be compared for both implementations and greater max clock frequency indicates faster speed of system.

Hope this will be helpful.

The fir filter output is delayed by N/2 its input sample times, where N is filter order. This gives the speed. No overclocking can help.

Hello kannan2590

Perhaps max clock frequency in Xilinx synthesis report could be compared for both implementations and greater max clock frequency indicates faster speed of system.

Hope this will be helpful.

As you say i got the meaning but in VLSI books like keshav parhi it is told that for the direct form i of fir filter the execution time is tm+(2*ta)

tm->execution time of multiplier
ta-> execution time of adder.

here i am considering an fir filter with 3 multipliers and 2 adders.

for transposed implementation it is tm+ta.

Now in the synthesis report how it is possible to measure the execution time of the multiplier and adder?Can you tell me?

As you say i got the meaning but in VLSI books like keshav parhi it is told that for the direct form i of fir filter the execution time is tm+(2*ta)

tm->execution time of multiplier
ta-> execution time of adder.

here i am considering an fir filter with 3 multipliers and 2 adders.

for transposed implementation it is tm+ta.

Now in the synthesis report how it is possible to measure the execution time of the multiplier and adder?Can you tell me?
Synthesis process will compute the timing of all components itself and show the maximum clock frequency for your design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back