Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About 30 minutes limit for editing posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradtheRad

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
[ Original thread: Shortcircuit protection circuit - post#15 ]

A few years ago forum administrators decided it was too easy for any spammer to post a message, then go back later so he could re-edit it to insert promotional ads and weblinks. Therefore administrators set a brief timeframe for a member to re-edit a post.

I believe the intention is to run this forum so that it avoids mistakes of many electronics-related message boards (going back 10 or 20 years) whose activity declined because they failed to attract and retain knowledgeable experts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: Shortcircuit protection circuit

I really appreciate your comment and response. I am going through it.

A few years ago forum administrators decided it was too easy for any spammer to post a message, then go back later so he could re-edit it to insert promotional ads and weblinks. Therefore administrators set a brief timeframe for a member to re-edit a post.
If a spammer is a problem, then just ban the spammer.
I see no reason to inconvenience the rest of us for a few bad apples.

Other electronic forums I'm on don't have that limit on editing, and seem to have no spam or other problems with that.
I often go back later to re-read my posts, and notice typos that I didn't see earlier, and correct them.
I can't do that here without generating a new post, and frankly, it fries my shorts.
If the administrators want to retain knowledgeable experts, annoying them is not the way to do it.

My apology for continuing a discussion that should be better carried on in the About Edaboard section.

The "time to edit" limit was reduced to 30 minutes 5 years ago, there was no reservation among moderators and very little member criticism about the change.

I don't say it must be necessarily 30 minutes, but a limit up to 1 or 2 hours proved useful in the previous practice. It's not particularly the spammers problem, but I think you should be safe from essential changes in posts that others have already read and possibly answered. We had these clever guys that partly or completely deleted there old post content once there problem had been solved or they realized that the previous post was somehow wrong. This isn't likely to happen with experienced and responsible members, but forum regulations apply to all members and must be simple.

I also think that necessary corrections will be better recognized if made in a subsequent post.

Hopefully all you will agree to this, I moved these posts to a specific thread; the subject deserves such a treatment not to be forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back