Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A question about phase noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkingsun

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
There is an buffered oscillator.

If the phase nosie of oscillator is -140dBc and the phase noise of buffer is -140dBc,

the total phase noise is -134dBc?

Thank you

But how to define the phase noise spec of a buffer?

good question and one I don't really know the answer to (it is complex for sure) -- and I probably shouldn't have thrown out a guess so quickly.

There are a number of papers from the IEEE-UFFC society that discuss additive phase noise from buffers and such. I would research there.

Lance

the phase nose after the buffer can estimated as the following:
L(fm)=(P_noise*G+KTB(NF-1)*G)/(P_IN*G)=
=L(fm)_in+(KTB(NF-1))/P_IN
P_IN---->THE INPUT POWER;
P_NOISE------>THE 1 HZ POWER fm offset from the FC
G---->GAIN of the buffer;
NF---->noise figure of the buffer
from the above equation, we totify that the KTB(NF-1) is very smaller than the Pin, so the buffer shall not affect the VCO phase noise;but y shall pay attention to the p_1dB point of the buffer, y shall not let the pin*g is greater than the p_1dB!

Very good question! Just to not start a new thread :

I plan to construct a very low phase noise vcxo but his level out it's arround 0dBm and my mixer stage needs +17dBm. Adding 3dB pad before mixer, I need +20dBm from vcxo.

The phase noise of vcxo itself it's arround -145dBm @ 100Hz so can I preserve this figure up to +20dBm ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back