Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a problem with ping 127.0.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

babaeer2003

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys
I study CCNA right now and I have a problem I hope you help me with
the problem is with the ping 127.0.0.1 I thought that it checks the connectivity of
NIC and the configuratin of the TCP/IP but when I disconnect the cable the ping still works (make reply ) the I disabled the NIC but the ping still works ( make reply )
I felt confused and I want to know what really ping 127.0.0.1 does???????

Dear,

127.0.0.1 is reserved for loopback tests. Designates the local
node and allows that node to send a test packet to
itself without generating network traffic

This ping can only be failed if the TCP/IP Protocol Stack is not corectly installed on the system.

Regards,

Hi guys
I felt confused and I want to know what really ping 127.0.0.1 does???????

Every network enabled appliance, has a self default local address or Loop-back address. 127.0.0.1 is reserved for that.
Check the IP address allocation ranges.
As 127.0.0.1 is a loop-back address hence you can ping it, no matter if your NIC is plugged or unplugged.

What the other posters may not have made clear: "loopback" is not a physical thing. It does NOT get all the way down to the NIC card hardware where the hardware realizes that 127.0.0.1 is 'special' and sends it back. Rather it's happening in the OS network drivers. In fact the address has its own logical/virtual network interface, separate from the hardware's interface completely. (This is why you get both the "lo" and "eth0" interfaces in unix/linux when you do an ifconfig.)

Status
Not open for further replies.