Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A problem with maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deinonychus

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm a new user of Ansoft Maxwell 2D. I cannot make the results of maxwell to be equal to my calculation.

The problem is a square shaped core with rel permeability of 2000. Current of 5 Amps, 100 turns. Surface of .0001 m^2 , Lenght of .4 m

It also has an air gap of 1 mm.

The result I get by calculation is 0.0524*(10^-3) wb

The result I get with maxwell is 9.26*10^-5 wb

I don't know what am I doing wrong if it is the simulation, the analytic result or both. I hope you can help me to figure it out.

Another question I have is: When I'm puting a source, 2 options are displayed (sheet & solid) what do they mean? What is vector potential?

Thanx

Hi,
I just had your problem too,
im assuming you have the Student Version?
Go to "Set Executive Parameters" -> "Matrix/Flux"
Select your Solenoid(s). Solve the Problem.
Go to Solutions->Flux linkage. Select your solenoid and enter the number of turns.
Note L=Ψ/I=N*B*A/I
B and A are calculated by the program, that is why you need to add N

Hi,

I am farely new to maxwell and I am trying to simulate a cylindrical coil with 200 turns to simulate its inductance value. The dimensions of the coil are 14mm diameter so it is very small.

i am modelling the coil as a hollow cylinder but then I am having problem when it comes to defining the excitation because obviously in the eddy current you cannot specify the number of turns thus the inductance value calculated is wrong. Can someone help?

thanks
lucy

IIRC, Maxwell gives you the inductance/turn^2, so if you have 200 turns, you would multiply the Maxwell result by 200^2 (40,000) to get the inductance of your coil.

First of all, thanks for your reply.

I have realised that... is there a way in which I can get the result correct straight away?

Hi Lucy,

Quite a while ago I had the same question that you do; and, after looking through all the documentation, I could find no way to make the software account for the number of turns when calculating the inductance matrix. It seems strange that such a simple, useful feature would be absent, yet apparently it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back