Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A large FSM or severl small FSM: which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spriteice

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I have one question about FSM implementation using VHDL.

For my project, I can choose to implement a large FSM which contains around 30 states, or I can choose to implement it by 3 smaller FSMs.

Does the synthesizer prefer the latter solution or the large-but-all-in-1 FSM architecture (I am using Synplify Pro)?

From the performance(Resource Usage, max Frequency) point of view, which one is better then: the Large FSM or the small FSMs?

Thanks

1) 30 states = 12 (1st FSM) + 8 (2nd FSM) + 10 (3rd FSM)
= 4 + 4 + 4 = 12 Flip-Flops (if you split big FSM)

No split - only 5 FF!

2) And what about recovery from illegal states
in splitting FSM? In one FSM it`s more easy.

30 states...

that's a lot.

I've never came across such a big FSM, I normally reduce the number of states to minimum using counters and nested 'if' on them, depends on the design though.

From 12 to 5 FFs, who cares? :D I guess in these figures the FFs used to encode your FSM are irrelevant.

The choice depends on how complex it's your logic in the states. I wouldn't like to have an FSM that big, I would rather 3 FSMs, but being careful of negotaition between them.

-maestor

Thanks Black Jack and Maestor for your suggestions.

Actually due to speed issue, I will use one-hot FSM . So I think 1 large FSM will use the same amount of registers as 3 FSMs. A 30 State FSM is really too big so probably I will adopt the 3 FSMs architecture. :)

I agree with Black Jack about the illegal state problem. So the next question is how to ensure the proper work flow of the 3 FSMs.

The current negotiation among these 3 FSMs is very simple:

Start FSM1(from other entity) ---> FSM1 ---> Start FSM2(from FSM1) ---> FSM2 ---> Start FSM3(from FSM2) ---> FSM3 ---> Finish(to other entity)

Each FSM will go back to Idle state after each run.

So any recommendations/advices, guys?

Another question to Maestor:

I have done some test on a FSM using a large number of states and a a FSM using the counters(as you mentioned). But I found the latter one will take much more resources(I use Synplify Pro). What do you think?

The design model of multiple small fsm is always better than a huge fsm according to the consideration of timing and resources consumption.

Hi spriteice,

I agree with you there, using extra counters and 'ifs' to reduce the number of states in your FSM will increase your logic. I guess it just depends of your design. Personally. I am quite reluctant to FSMs with a lot of states...as you said the more the number of states, the easier to get in illegal states.

-maestor

Small FSM is easy to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back