Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A GPS design idea to monitor a persons location

Status
Not open for further replies.

eltonjohn

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
GPS and this crazy IDEA!

Watching FRONTLINE the other night .Which is a serious TV show .It occurred to me this crazy idea !. The FRONTLINE program was about the state of JUSTICE in the United States . How the system is so corrupt and thouthands of people are being sent to DEATH ROW with very summary TRIALS .Is evident in case after case that the elements to convict a person were not there .But also the ones that would exonerate them either .So by deafult and after a very superficial trial . The person is sent to jail for many years and a lot of them being put to DEATH .. After being shock on how a SOCIETY becomes so ARROGANT that even JUSTICE is a SHURE THING ! I started thinking HOW COULD TECHNOLOGY HELP a PERSON in ORDER to BUY some kind of "INSURANCE" against being WRONGLY accussed of a CRIME he didn't committed .
A month ago it even was all over the media the case of a guy thas was accued by a very credible witness that saw him at the time and place of a MURDER SCENE .. The accussed CLAIMED to be at a BEISBALL game .. Nobody of course believed him ! . So it was up to his lawyer to try to locate a proof .going over all video taken that day by the cameras of the stadium . And he was THERE taped by the crew of a sindicated show !
The evidence of him being at ANOTHER PLACE at the same TIME save HIS LIFE !.. we have come to this .. So we need to deal in the best maner
I came up with this IDEA about a device that shoud be integral to the body .and would detect the location of a person and recorder it everyday . .Of course this is a VOLUNTARY thing and the bearer is the only one capable of owning this INFORMATION ! and also capable of erasing it .BUT NOT TAMPER IT !
two problems need to be solve here :
1)The GPS receiving unit has to be very small
2) the unit has to be able to detect the right person every time his position is sampled ( i already solved this part .. of course i won't tell you !)

When INSURANCE was firts introduced i imagine that it was receieved also with a lot of resistance or schepticism .

Re: GPS and this crazy IDEA!

If the device is owned by the wearer and records the locations and the owner does not let anyone view the information unless he wants, this would be a usable product.

The problem is that the probably of being arrested is so low that there may be few customers for it.

There are more house fires than false arrests. People would better spend their money on a more sophisticated fire detection and protection system for where they live.

HI FLATULENT ..

Well NOT HERE FLATULENT .. A BIG CITY is like a JUNGLE a lot of people would find it useful .. Think about a parent .. That would need to know where was his kid .. Did he attended school .. or did he go to a part of town were drugs are being sold .. I know this also LEADS to the problem that if addopted by the STATE then i could also work against YOU .. Well all the FREEDOM MAMBO JAMBO !

But i would worry too much about the custumers base .. I think is phenomenal!

What about that all guns in US must have GPS built-in so everybody can lookup nearest location of it and try to avoid it? (o;

Well..seems in US there´s always a good market for fear!

NO.NO .. I'm talking about Engineering not about american idiosyncrasy.
This is a gizmo .. there are thouthands of GIZMOS out there , This is with least is some kind of INSURANCE for something that is prevailing now in a world in CRISIS.. Ok this can be just a funtion INTEGRATED on a WRIST WATCH . how many people have watches measuring underwater presure
and never use it .!

Hi eltonjohn,

interesting service… but as far I know, present GPS network it is not enough to guarantee the required coverage. For instance there is no coverage inside in almost all indoors sites with the present generations of GPS satellites. So it is necessary the complement it with another network in order to improve the service. This second network will be almost surely the cellular network. Mobile operators and suppliers have been working since several years ago in order to develop these types of services (location base services). But it is not easy.. Many things have to be addressed. There are technical issues, commercial issues and several concerns regarding privacy that have to be addressed before you can have these kinds of services out in the market.

Anyhow... some credible market research has indicated that there is a market for this kind of services (services oriented to provide relief to concerns about safety and security).

But, even if your cellular phone can provide a reliable way to indicate your position, still you need to demonstrate your identity without any doubt. Again the cellular network may help you: As far I remember, there is a project in the European Community in order to use a secure SIMM card (similar or the same one that is use in GSM telephones) as a way to demonstrate the people’s identity. So, imagine a future were, instead of showing your passport you would be showing you cellular phone ;-)
But, some one else could be carrying your cellular phone. In order to solve this last topic, you can use an RFID device inserted below the skin. This RFID system may communicate with your cellular with some kind of sort range secure protocol. In this way, the cellular phone will know who are you, where are you in the WAN area and the RFID device will confirm that the right person is the once that is carrying the phone within the personal area.

Changing of subjec: Since I have read your post I could not stop thinking in a name for the service. Many come out of my mind. These are some of them… Why not to call the service: “Alibi Plus” or “Bar Relief” or “Instant Escape” or “Free Bird” or “Cage Eliminator” :)

HI Gil .. Now you're talking baby !!! .. the skin insert of course that was the first thing i thought ..I saw on the news that in mexico they have just started a new computer system to control criminals .. In order to be shure that not authorized personel might delete or replace records.Only a certain high ranking officials are allowed to do it. For that they have to present their under RFID skin implant . But i've thinking in another solution that is simpler just for this application .!!

Hi Eltonjohn

I saw on TV last week that such a system is still in use in Japan. Parents are able to follow their kids all the day long. Kids carry a small GPS beacon. Kids location is send on the GSM metwork as soon as the parents query the beacon with their mobile phone.

This can be useful only if it is firmly implanted to one's body and impossible to exchange with a friend.
Who would volunteer to do this if the probability of using it in court is less than 0.1%???

GPS and this crazy IDEA!

Few months before CNN showed similar thing - somethng like watch weared on leg and used by US department of immigration to control immigrant's location . i do nto know whether its gps based or something proprietary network .

Something voluntary taken as goodwill will be a must after while so for sure i am against it , as goverment will abuse it for spying .

Hi,
GPS is not so pwerful enogh for time being. After 4 years when the GPS control segment is updated we can be using these ideas. BUT by that time the RFID would have caught up and would be more easier to use because of lower power and size. I feel so. Also RFID can be accurate to room level.
B R M

GPS and this crazy IDEA!

In China, one telecom company can provied this location service with CDMA mobilephone.it seemed that this kind of service is not very welcomed.

Hello Sir Elton John ( :p ),

The idea you have had been already prototyped by US Army. They're on the verge of making a real life "Universal Soldier". Like a lot of users mentioned, it's civilian counterpart is also available, although not everybody wants it because it's blatant murder of privacy. Imagine, if you're allowing somebody else to spy on your activities (location-wise), what guarantees that whatever you say & do isn't being recorded too? Imagine you going through your meetings where you submit your proposals, there's a wide chance the tracker implanted in you records voice too.... then at the end of the financial year, you'll have IRS on your tail!

Coming back to the "Universal Soldier" prototype... when a soldier was wounded in a battle, laid unconcious, instead of checking for his/her blood-type, the medical personnel would just scan his wrist or any other body part that has the implant... from there they'd get every detail & medical history of that soldier, right from his/her name to allergies (if any).

I'm sorry Columbus, America has already been discovered! :-(

Regards,
JeDi

I'm sorry Columbus, America has already been discovered!

Colonization and the big money was made by people coming much later after him!

Since I have read your post I could not stop thinking in a name for the service. Many come out of my mind. These are some of them… Why not to call the service: “Alibi Plus” or “Bar Relief” or “Instant Escape” or “Free Bird” or “Cage Eliminator”

I liked that! My votes to "Free Bird" or “Alibi Plus”

As with most devices doing something "against" this, at a later moment they could (and will) be used "against" that. Knifes, pistols, security video records or phone conversation taping, car location system, everything has the implicit risk to be used in a different way other than its original purpose.

I saw in the news, people being implanted with such a device to avoid being kidnapped. What is the percentage of probability of this happening to you? Tell your income, where you live and where you work.

Look at this. (I am 58 yo):

When my father (born at the beginning of past century) told that there was no radio at that time, I laughed a lot.

When I told my son, that when I was born there was no TV, he laughed a lot.

Fifteen years ago when the french knew about the intention of the government to put everybody's info in a computer, there was the hell of complains and demonstration and public meetings. Just the idea was frightening.

Nowadays (I've just came from a voyage through Europe) I found that in different ways for different reason and through many different systems, everybody's info is available with varying degrees of details.

Here in Argentina car insurance including satellite control service for recovery was used, 10 years ago, for trucks because of the cost of gear and cargo. Now I would say that close to a 25% (?) of cars are insured that way and they charge you less if you include it.

Learnt that always there is a market for something. The famous "niche" of marketing.

Personally I am not going to buy one but with so many people out there, who knows?

Agustín Tomás

BTW I wonder what will make my son's son (not born yet) to laugh when his father tells about... :?:

BTW I wonder what will make my son's son (not born yet) to laugh when his father tells about... :?:

I know, I know..... Your son would tell your grandson on some obscure planet called "Earth" & that their vehicles had tyres & wouldn't be foldable as these (future) days.

Regards,
JeDi

Hello,

I agree with the concept of using the cellular network for the location identification, this is an applicatin of Location Based Services they are actually being marketed as "know where your kid is " services and "I am lost" and other gaming applications.

The advantaged of cellular location based is that its penetration is already high in urban areas and indoor coverage is available most of the time. Different technologies exist from the simple (cell ID) to Assisted GPS where the Mobile station contains a GPS and communicates with a GPS server to get updated location.

Of course the big question is that you have to be subscribes to these services and they have to keep a humongous database to record our every move and you have to keep your mobile on you wherever you go!

Regards,

GPS and this crazy IDEA!

Hello gam,
Exactly my point... On one hand people are talking about transparency between system & civilians, while on other hand we plan to bring up such things? Not that innovation is bad...
One more thought on "Alibi plus" or whatever one wants to call it....
Do you think people would wear it every single day just to prove their alibi because "something might happen someday with somebody"? Doesn't that sound mighty paranoid?!!
I hope I haven't offended anybody, if I have... Sorry.

Regards,
JeDi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back