Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a few basic questions about hfss

Status
Not open for further replies.

oahsen

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss jsurf

Hi, I have trying to make a very simple simulation on hfss but I have very little idea how to do it. I installed the program and I go through the getting started example named "antenna", however, it hadn't much helped me.

What I have been trying to do is placing a inductor to the end of a 80cm wire and placing another 2cm wire to another end of the inductor and connect this 2 cm wire to a electrode (by electrode I mean a cylindrical shell basicall)

My questions are the following;
1-) To make a wire should I use "draw->cylinder" and draw a cylinder with 80cm length and small radius or "draw->line" would do the job? (if so how can i adjust the radius of that line)
2-)How exactly can I connect an inductor to this wire? I tried to add a 1cm wire to the end of my initial 80cm wire, and right clicked to it and from "assign boundary" I choosed Lumped RLC. Is this way correct?
3-)I guess the outside structure is air or space or something another. But I want a lossy medium whose specs(conductivity and permeability) are known. How can I do that? I tried to make a very huge square box outside the figures and filled it with that lossy medium, is it correct or does there exist an easier way?
4-)After I run the program how can I obtain the graph which shows the current distribution on the wires?I tried "Hffs-results-create report" but I couldn't find how to obtain a current graph?

If you could answer these question I will be very glad. Thnks in advance.

jvol jsurf hfss

1 - For a wire, draw a cylinder, and specify a radius. You can also use a rectangular sheet.
2 - For the boundary, create a flat square at the location of your inductor. make it as small as possible, and assign boundary (Lumped RLC)
3 - make your box or radiation boundary, change the material to your medium. after that, change boundary to radiation boundary.
4 - Current distribution - not sure about this, but you may have to use the field calculator.

oahsen

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks. first 3 questions are solved. However, has anybody any idea about the last question? Because it is very important for me to look to the currents on the wire. How can I use the field calculator?

You could look at surface current plot - I believe it is called Jsurf.
Using the field calculator requires quite a bit of EM.

oahsen

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
With using Jvol and Jsurf command I have been able to see some coloring on my wires. However, I need to see some concrete values. Because I will change the inductor value that I put there and I need to look how the current change on the wire. But it is very hard to see those color differences with bare eye. Is there a way to make a plot(or something like that) of that Jsurf or Jvol values so that I can make my readings?

I = ∫J.ds

and i guess the surface can be cross sections of the wires ....
I am not sure about this - i am just giving suggestions on how to go about this!

When I go "hfss-results-create report" then there opens a window and there are only "Freq" and "Phase" quantities under the "Variables" category and no other variables under any other category. So, I can only have a freq vs phase graph. There should be a way to add more parameters to this graph but how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back