Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A case study:OTA with SC_CMFB and PAC simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethan

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everybody,

I attach a figure below which shows fully-differential fold-cascode one stage opamp with SC-CMFB. Then in my next post, there is another figure, which I think it can be used as CMFB structure with equavilent resistors (which I call R-CMFB here).

This CMFB structure is variant from Razavi book on page 442 (chapter 12), or in lecture 21 of
**broken link removed**
the circuit description is in this lecture "Passive CMFB(1)"

Instead of connecting feedback control point to tail current source of the input stage, I connected it to the top PMOS current source of the cascode stage.

The switches I used in clock phase 2 are transmission gate with min. in length and double min width for PMOS, NMOS with all min in width and length.

The switches I used in clock phase 1 are PMOS only, with min in length and double min width.

Clock frequency is 200kHz.

And I have tried the capacitor value between 100fF to 1pF (each) with almost same simulation results only in SC-CMFB structure; in R-CMFB, I only tried 500fF and 200kHz, whose equavilent resistor is 10M ohms each.

My questions are as following:

1. Do you agree that these two figures can be seen as equavilent in term of calculation and simulation purpose?

if no, would you please specify your ideal why they are not? Can you teach me
whether there is a way to get an equavilent R-CMFB structure?

2. if these are same in term of simulation purpose, currently, I can get open-loop DC gain with 70dB around with R-CMFB structure, and also get certain measure f-3b, unity gain frequency, phase margin for open-loop opamp.

However, I only can achieve 50dB open-loop DC gain for SC-CMFB by using PSS, PAC simulation, and much less unity-gain frequency comparing with previous case, and also very good PM (comparing previous).

I remember that someone mentioned in our forum before that for PAC, it calculates the whole period, so with half period SC structure, there is half energy loss, which in case you need to add 6 dB more on its PAC. I am wondering if this is always true in all the case, then how can we feel confidence with PAC simulation?

And also in Dr. Ken Kundert's paper about SC filters simualtion, he mentioned to add ideal S/H circuit and hence get expected result for PAC, except that there is coloring on your results.

So, even if I add 6dB more in my case, it is still not 70dB around.

I have even tried the SC-CMFB structure listed in that lecture 21 and Razavi book. same results with above, one is around 70dB (R-CMFB, open-loop), another is 48dB(SC-CMFB) in my design.

I know I must have done something wrong, but still couldn't figure it out for a while. But I am sure this time that I got proper clock timing diagram (sorry for before).

Can anybody instruct me on this confliction? Your suggestion is really appreciate.

3. This question is asking about between ideal S/H circuit and SC filter simualtion method.

I would like to know whether it is necessary for all cases with SC type circuits, to add an ideal S/H following the outputs in order to get the PAC output. Since, in some cases, if I only can get simulation results from PAC and ideal S/H always needed to deploy, then I thought I could not readout the accurate results from the plots, such as unit-gain frequency, because of sin(x)/x filtering.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

figure for R-CMFB structure

Actually I am think about maybe one of the transistors in the one leg of the cascode stage is in triode region during the phase 2, which cause the gain drop from 3000~4000 to 500. But I don't know how to read or find the DC operation points for half clock cycle.

I can get good PSS results with common-mode input (keep dc level, disable small signal input) for the outputs and potential at the feedback control point. But I don't know how to identify the transistor DC operation point for each half cycle.

Can someone guide me about this?

I guess your pss doesn't set up the start time:

xinstance pss tstart=30us ...

If you don't set tstart, pss will calculate at t=0, and both cmfb and output level are not woring yet! you can see the output level at pss analysis, if the output levels are both vdd or gnd, not at vcm, it means you should set up tstart to get an appropriate operation state.

regards

You have a fatal error in your SC-CMFB circuitry, and that is why you can not get it work properly in PSS simulation: the gate of the PMOS devices at the OTA output stage should be tied to the left of the ph1 switch. Check the conventional SC-CMFB circuitry carefully and you will find that error.

intuition said:
I guess your pss doesn't set up the start time:

xinstance pss tstart=30us ...

If you don't set tstart, pss will calculate at t=0, and both cmfb and output level are not woring yet! you can see the output level at pss analysis, if the output levels are both vdd or gnd, not at vcm, it means you should set up tstart to get an appropriate operation state.

regards

I didn't setup "tstart", but I have setup "tstab=1.0m". And I can achieve perfect common-mode output signal level with PSS. Any way, I will try it . Thank you for your reply.

Added after 9 minutes:

willyboy19 said:
You have a fatal error in your SC-CMFB circuitry, and that is why you can not get it work properly in PSS simulation: the gate of the PMOS devices at the OTA output stage should be tied to the left of the ph1 switch. Check the conventional SC-CMFB circuitry carefully and you will find that error.
Hi Willyboy19,

I am not quite clear about you mentioned above. Say, let's label the cascode stage transistors in one branch as following:

M1(PMOS)
M3(PMOS)
capacitor(CMFB)
M5(NMOS)
M7(NMOS)

Then, if I had understood you properly, I should have connected the gate of M1 to the left side of phase1. Is that right? If in this way, then I thought M1 only get fixed biasing. Hence, in this way, there is no feedback control point for this structure.

I think I still didn't get it. Can you further comment on it?

Thank you so much.

ethan

Hi
I think tstab=1ms is also too long .. if you set tstart right, tstab can even leave without...I use tstab just in case of no convergence.. you can also refer to pss chapter of spectreref.pdf in you Cadence document folder. :)

The output OTA will be sampled at phase 1 by next stage so the SC cmfb
should not be looked by the output at that time. So the SC cmfb should be
connected to the output of OTA at phase 2. Am I right?

The sc cmfb would works at no matter phase1 or phase2, because it's using two capacitor between vout_p and vout_n, with feedback point in the middle. The cmfb clock is used to charge those two capacitors again, so you can change phase1 to phase2 / phase2 to phase1, or even stop the cmfb clock while the output common mode is settled, it won't make any difference.

Hi ethan,
I also find this problem when I simulated the folded cascode amplifer with SC CMFB using PAC function in cadence.
The gain-boosted amplifier has about 110dB DC gain, but it droped to 64dB when I using SC CMFB.
Could you help to figure it out?
Thanks!

BR,
Winson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back