Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] A 24V Motor Control using a 12V relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einzee

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello. I am new here and I apologize if I have posted in the wrong forum.
What I want to do is to control a motor with a relay. I have worked with relays for many years and know of their various uses. I want to make what I have in front of me work (Cant afford more parts). I was given a 2 wheeled elect scooter. A complete rolling chassis minus all of the wires, the electronic control box, and the throttle. The motor says 24V and there are 2- 12V batteries. I have wired the batteries in series to get the 24V and installed a small rocker switch inline to the motor. So basically it is wired direct from batteries, thru the switch and then to motor. My only on/off is that switch. Since there is not a throttle, the toy has taken off from me a couple of times because the switch location prohibits me from holding on with 2 hands while starting. Im not interested in building a speed control at this moment. I just want to ride halfway safely.

Will this work? I know a 24V relay will avoid the "rigged" part. The new remote switch will be mounted to the handlebars. Do I need to run another wire or ground one of the batteries to the frame and then use that ground to operate the relay? Will the full 24V end up going thru the relay and burning it up?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Better Proposal BIG.jpg
    Better Proposal BIG.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 203

I went ahead and did the connection just after posting my question here. I went and looked at the setup and just could not really find a problem with it. Yes, it did work. My new FREE scooter works great! It averages 18 MPH! I just took it out tonite for a short run after I had already put about 3 miles on it earlier today and the batteries died during my short run tonite. I wasnt worried about it because I know that a motor that is not being powered will turn into a generator. I would walk it about .3 miles and get to ride it for .1 miles. I made it home and now have the batteries on a charger :)

If it is difficult to take 12v from center connecting point of two, You can connect it to 24v by checking dc resistance of coil and putting a 2-5 watt resistor close value available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back