Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9V DC adaptor with 5 plug outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

liciniuspatricius

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there

I believe it's very easy to build, but my knowledge in this area it's limited.
I need to convert 230v AC to a 9V DC with 5 or more outs.
The objective it's to supply energy to my guitar pedals.

I have 5 usual 1,5v to 12v universal adaptor, but I think that a single one would do the trick. I think that is for sale somewhere, but building it's much more fun.

Can anyone build me a plan how to build it?
Just a drawing with the components.
Off course that the complete the better.

Thank you, and if I can help you in something just ask (my area is computers and software)

look like you need flyback swichmode power supply do the search, my question is why you need 5 individual source for your instrument?

Thank you for answering.

I have 5, and I'm going to buy one more, guitar pedals.
Each one needs 9v DC. If I use the universal adaptor, the Amps are too high and the is voltage is not certain. In the 9v from de universal adaptor I get 12,4v. And due to that high voltage and amps it creates a background noise in the guitar.

Someone might have a plan that saw in a magazine and can help me build this power supply.

One simplest way to do that is
1. Buy 5 power header which is fit for you instrument.
2. Cut the output of the adaptor
3. Soldering all this 5 header with the adaptor output (be careful of the polarity)
4. use the plastic tape to protect the soldering joints
5. Then you can use it.

Before you do this, you need to make sure the power and current output of the adaptor is sufficient for these 5 instrument.

Hi.

Yes, I already thought about that.
But the universal adaptor, not even in the 6v position gives me the 9v. And theres no univ adaptor in the market running 100 amps, their all 500ma, 1000ma, etc.

So building its really the only option.
The problem is that the 5 all wired take power from the same source, and needs always the 5 on or theres too much power. If I reduce the power when the 5 are on theres lack of energy.

I would suggest two options:

1) Build one power supply with decent output current and connect all 5 outputs in parallel .. see LM317_Boost1 ..

2) Build a power supply with one common transformer, rectifier and smoothing capacitor and use several voltage regulators - one for each output .. see +/-7.5V_+5V circuit ..

Regards,
IanP

What is the current consumption at 12V of the 5 pedals? Without knowing the current it is difficult to suggest the best solution.

You wrote 100 amps, but i'm not sure that this is what you meant.

The current consumption or power usage of each pedal should be written on it. Make a list of each pedals specs and post it in this thread.

I'd recommend sticking to non SMPS based solutions as it will be less prone to noise and will take less time to build.

IanP's suggestions seem to be good ones as they provide regulated outputs and a use a non SMPS supply.

oddbudman

Yes, my mistake! I meant 100 mA.
Each pedals needs 9v DC at 100mA.

My intention is to build a power supply that can supply energy to 1 or the 5 at the same time.
I don't understand what you mean by paralell outputs, sorry, I'm a newbie. :D

Perhaps something like this fits the bill:
**broken link removed**
I know its not building it yourself, but it will save you time, and you won't need to worry about heatsinking issues, circuit mounting and buying an enclosure to suit.

oddbudman

Thank you oddbudman, but what I really need is this:

**broken link removed**

But this one is only to 5, I need at least 6 or 7.
And building it is more fun. I'm in holiday and need a hobbie :D

Well, I'll keep seeking.

Finally I got the solution.

60_1158536254.gif

All is needed is to change the:

- 1N4001 for 1N4007
- 470uF for 2200uF (16v or higher)
- 7805 for 7809

And voilá, you have a 9V DC at 1A, wich means at least 9 outs at 9V 100mA

Hope it helps someone, specially other guitar players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back