Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8 bit up/down counter with VHDL languge

Status
Not open for further replies.

tandt_53

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can u help me? I have a problem with digital design as following:
"build a 8 bit up/down counter with I/O: clk, set, reset, data_in, data_out.
use VHDL language, build the testbench to emulate and verify this counter."
thanks alot!

Thats a few hours work.
I charge £50/hour.

Or you could do your own work for free. Then if you've got some specific problems, come back and we'll happily give up our time for you.

That won't be that difficult...
An hour maximum, and then that would be done - the great thing is that there are IC's made for this already, so you can just take a look at their functioning diagram!
I would gladly help you getting started.

I suspect the first problem is "how"? you have a "set" and a "reset" signal, but nothing that would seem to tell the counter to count up vs count down.

That won't be that difficult...
An hour maximum, and then that would be done - the great thing is that there are IC's made for this already, so you can just take a look at their functioning diagram!
I would gladly help you getting started.
I'm a beginner in digital design, my problem is to design the diagram in IC's as you said. could you help me to solve this problem. You can show the hints to do that. thank a lot.

I'm a beginner in digital design, my problem is to design the diagram in IC's as you said. could you help me to solve this problem. You can show the hints to do that. thank a lot.
Yeah I see. On my blog you can see a schematic about an 8-bit Up counter, which resets when it comes to 255.
This is made by simple Flip-Flops, but can't unfortunately be changed to up/down counting.
**broken link removed**

there is a site that will help you a lot ....

Mmmmh ... I found it Google

look for 8bit up/down schematic (VHDL) and you will find thousands. is this too much for you?

any handbook in digital electronics will show you how to design a counter, the rest is a matter of replication and some basic deduction

you read the basic about the counter in digital logic and computer design author M.MORRIS MANO. Than after do the counter program because it necessary you know about how to counter work.

Yeah I see. On my blog you can see a schematic about an 8-bit Up counter, which resets when it comes to 255.
This is made by simple Flip-Flops, but can't unfortunately be changed to up/down counting.
**broken link removed**

Sorry, I can't see clearly the Letters on the left and some are too small. Can you upload again with higher quality?Thanks

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.