Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8 bit- 8 bit division (Need 4 bit float point) code for VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterboy

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, I am a student in a Technical University and I have a homework to be done but I couldnt handle the stuation so far :) . I need your HELPPPP

The problem is simple. I have to do a divison by 8 bit vector divided by another 8 bit vector and the out put will be 12 bit vector (We must see result after coma (float)).

Thank you all for your concern :???:

You shouldn't expect others to do your homework, but help is surely available.

First step would be a clear specification. You can design a divider to give fractional result bits (bits right of the decimal point), however this has nothing to do with floating point number representation. Floating point involves an exponent, showing how many bit positions the result mantissa has been shifted. You should also clarify if signed or unsigned division is intended.

A simple way to get 8 integer and 4 fractional result bits would be to extend the dividend by 4 LSB zero bits and then perform a regular integer division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back