Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

78L05 regulator output = 8V ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayfollah

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
78l05 à 8v

I switched from using the regular 7805 regulator to the small one 78L05

The problem is that the output of 78L05 Vout = Vin - 1V ; when the input is 9V battery the output is 8V approx.

I tried more than 20 pieces of 78L05 and all are giving the same output .

I experiment them without connecting them to any other parts . Is there a solution for this problem , or they are all damaged ?

78l05 capacitor

Try them in a circuit with a load of at least 1mA.

I believe they have to be loaded.

Regards,

Pld4me

78l05 problem

they do not need to be loaded afaik, did you use correct pinout??

sayfollah

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
7805 8v

Right, if you used TO-220 package for 78xx and are now using 78Lxx in TO-92, then the pins are reversed... 1 2 3 = In Gnd Out for 78xx and 1 2 3 = Out Gnd In for 78Lxx.

Happened to me once also ;)

sayfollah

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
7805 78l05

Thanx for your help ..

rfmw , that works .

I had connected it reversed , even though I checked the 78L05 datasheet twice :) . I am feeling myself clumsy .

Thank you for your help .

how to damage 78l05

idea 7805 adj Volt output.
for 78L05(to-92) = 7805(to-220)

https://circuit-electronic.blogspot.com/2007/03/power-supply-5-22v-by-7805.html
04-03.jpg

78l05 to-220

The reason that your output was 8V when you reversed the input and output of the regulator was due to an internal diode included within this IC. The diode is connected with the anode on the output and the cathode on the input. Its purpose is to discharge the output capacitor at power off. If the output capacitor holds a charge longer than the input capacitor, it can reverse bias the internal pass transistor and damage it.
When you connected the regulator with the input and output reversed, this diode was then forward biased which increased the output voltage .

I mention all this, because this sort of voltage reading is a valuable troubleshooting clue. If the output is too high and the device is not shorted, then I usually suspect an improperly installed linear regulator.

output 8v

Try them in a circuit with a load of at least 1mA.

I believe they have to be loaded.

Regards,

I AGREE!

78l05 connections

never
i am using this 7805 in every day
some times i did not get correct voltage because of faulty component
please put a capacitor in the output
u will get proper voltage

78l05 linear regulator circuit

This IC is reliable, you must have taken reversed connections. Just check the connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back