Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[AVR] 74HCT541 to translate 5V logic to 3.3V logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

sreepss

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Shall we use 74HCT541 to translate from a 5V logic to 3.3 logic? I mean from a 5V processor lines to a 3.3V display lines?

I have tried this, but a 3.3V powered HCT 541 gives wrong output (4.1 V) and disturbing the 3.3V supply rail. :roll:
hc541.jpg
here's my schematic

You are simulating with the 74HCT541 ( 4.5v-5.5v ), but should use the 74HC541 ( 2.0v-5.5v ) instead. Anyway, according to datasheet the maximum allowed input is VCC.

Hi,

What's the idea behind using a HCT device? I can't see it.

Use a AHC device, but supplied with 3.3V.
Then the output is 0V/3.3V....while the input may be higher than it's supply voltage.

Klaus

thanks for the replays,

Negative Negative

I have actually used HC541 not HCT. Sorry for the mistake whenever I give the input to the buffer from a 5V ATMEGA port, the output goes beyond (4.1V the HCT's VCC( 3.3V ) and the 3.3V power rail raised by 4.1V.hc5411.jpg

Last edited:

hi KlaussT,

I have already running design of ATMEGA with 16MHz clock. I need to run it with 8MHz for 3.3V design. currently I cannot change the design

Hi,

Again: use AHC, supplied with 3V3.
HC are not 5V input tolerant with 3V3 supply.

Klaus

Hi,

Any AHC family member has this 5V tolerant inputs.
If you need 541 functionality... then

Yes, use 74AHC541.

Klaus

Reactions: sreepss

sreepss

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back