Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 74HC595 operation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is the other thread of the OP. He says he doesn't have free pins to use 3 pins for 74HC595.
Yes, and you know that the problem of controlling HC595 with one or two pins has been solved in this thread.

You can use a common shift and latch clock if you don't mind output pulses during data shift. I think it's a bad idea. Or you need low-pass filters for the chattering outputs.

You are not reloading the buf variable after the first loop.
Moreover, what exactly do you expect with this buf>=1 command ?

Could someone explain what is the purpose of buf>=1. May be it should be buf>>=1.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
@SunnySkyGuy

See this thread

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/343271/

It is the other thread of the OP. He says he doesn't have free pins to use 3 pins for 74HC595.

Hmm, I didn't know it was hidden there.

I suppose a 1 wire protocol would work with Short/long pulses for 1,0, Reset, & Latch

Or one could bit bang Biphase Clock and Data with an XOR+RC simple clock and data separator with a long pulse "0" for Load and long "1" for Reset.

I remember not having enough ADC 12bit channels in a high speed synchronous SCADA link I designed in the late 70's to monitor servo motor current in case of a potential stall current from load friction, so I made a Current to Frequency converter and sent all the analog currents as a single bit in a supervisory channel with a few extra bits to spare. then F back to V for some edge mounted panel meters for additional remote console feedback on an automated robotic probe scanner. The frame rate was fast enough to bang these asynchronous frequency that I sync'd to prevent aliasing so that I could send 0~8Khz in a 8KHz frame rate .

Instead of SH_CP and ST_CP tied, why not use independent ST_CP ?

Also only 7 ports are needed so it could be done in SH_CP 7 Clk pulses and use only Q0~Q6 and not use Q7.

Then the output ports are synchronously switched every byte instead of shifted every bit, unless that was the desired feature?

I do't get it.

circuit is correct and working smoothly

Status
Not open for further replies.